Chapter 34: Push Them Back

Tie and I spend the night in the hospital with Spot.

"I'll head out to find food somewhere," Tie says when we wake up. Since we fell asleep early in the morning, it's around midday.

I nod. "Okay."

He leaves and I glance at Spot. He hasn't woken up from surgery yet. I know the doctor said he would be fine, but what if he never wakes up? 

I grab his hand and run my thumb over his fingers. I sigh and bring his hand to my lips, pressing a soft kiss to his fingertips.

"Hey darlin'."

I gasp, dropping Spot's hand.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Spot says.

I laugh in relief. "Oh my gosh, Spot you's awake!"

Spot grins. "I'm alive."

I stand up and lean over him carefully, kissing him. We kiss for a long time, until someone clears their throat from the doorway.

I step away from Spot and see Tie standing in the doorway with a bag in his hand.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," Tie says smirking. He nods at Spot. "Welcome back."

Spot gives him a small smile. "Thanks. You got food there?"

The doctor walks in. "Sorry, no solid food for you yet. We have to make sure that stomach healed nicely. It was a pretty nasty wound."

"Yeah, it hurt like hell," Spot says. The doctor laughs. Tie and I stand out of the way while the doctor checks up on Spot and the machines.

"Don't get too worked up and don't push yourself, okay?" The doctor says to Spot. "If you're tired, rest. If your stomach is hurting, let a nurse or doctor know and we'll get you some medicine." Spot nods. The doctor starts walking out of the room. "All set, you kids don't have too much fun."

Tie and I sit back down.

"So, what's the plan today?" Spot asks.

Tie sighs. "The plan is to come up with a plan. A plan that's going to make sure the Bronx is ova, once and for all."

We hear the kids before we see them. 

"Newsies need our help today 
Tell 'em, Brooklyn's on the way
We're from Brooklyn
We are newsies
We are Brooklyn newsies

Just got word that our buddies are hurting
Facing total disaster for certain
That's our cue, boys it's time to go slumming
Hey Manhattan, the calvary's coming!

Have no fear
Brooklyn's here
We're the boys from the beaches of Brighton
Prospect Park and the navy yard pier
War ain't fun, but it sure is exciting
Loud and clear - Brooklyn's here!

Manhattan's here!
Flushing's here!
Richmond's here!
Woodside's here!
Midtown's here!
Staten Island's here!
Eastside's here!
So's the Bowery!

Brooklyn's here
Loud and clear, we is here!

There's cheering outside the hospital. A few minutes later, Jack, Isaac, and the rest of the leaders walk into Spot's room.

Tie and I stand up.

"Tie, stay," Spot says. "I ain't gonna be leavin' here in time for the plan, so you gotta lead Brooklyn."

Jack gives me an apologetic look. "Yeah, sorry, it's leadas only."

I shake my head. "It's fine. I'll go see the otha newsies."

I run outside and am immediately bombarded with hugs from most of the Manhattan newsies.

The walk to the Bronx is nerve-wracking. We walk in silence, all the newsies, taking up most the road. I'm getting flashbacks from the strike. If only our plan now wasn't life or death.

Right before Harlem, we split into two groups. One heads to the Bronx, and the other heads into Harlem. I'm with the Harlem group. We spread out, surrounding Harlem, except for the part where the other group will be bringing the newsies over in the Bronx. We wait fifteen minutes until this happened. 

"What's all this 'bout?" Brick asks, walking into the middle. Those of us hiding in the shadows step forward, now trapping all the Bronx and surviving Harlem newsies in a circle.

Brick looks around and laughs. "Oh, I see what this is. You comin' to save everyone? To stop da big, bad, and mighty Bronx? Well, I hate to burst ya bubble, but it ain't happenin'."

"The bulls are goin' be here soon, Brick," Jack says. "You and your thugs don't stand a chance. You might as well give up right now."

Brick looks around at his thugs, chuckling. "Ya hear this guy? He thinks we's gonna be arrested!" They all laugh. Brick sighs and turns back to Jack. "We all know the police don't listen to street rats like us. Listen, this can all be ova if you just give us what we want."

"Hey, we ain't givin' up nothin'!" Isaac says. We cheer.

Brick shakes his head. "Well, I ain't givin' up either. It's up to you. More newsies get hurt or we get what we want."

Tie steps forward. "Giving you what you want won't stop you. You don't want just the space; you want someone to hurt. So hurt me. Kill me, leave the othas alone. I'm not lettin' everyone else suffa 'cause of you."

"Tie, no, you can't say that," I protest.

Tie doesn't turn away from Brick. "It'll be fine Danny. Spot's gonna be fine, he'll be able to rule Brooklyn too. You guys don't need me."

"Wait Spot survived?" Brick asks. He turns to one of his thugs. "I thought you said you finished him." The thug shrugs.

"Tie, now's not the time to be a hero," Jack says. "You don't need to die. Follow the plan."

Tie turns his head. "Jack, it'll be fi-"

Three knifes hit him in the chest at the same time. He staggers as the blood starts pouring out of him. I scream. Tie looks at me, realization in his eyes right before he falls back, hitting his head hard on the pavement. The life leaves his eyes.

The newsies nearest him stare in shock.

Jack looks up at Brick, who's smirking. "What the hell, Brick? You's seriously just gonna kill innocent kids? We's all just innocent kids in a messed-up world that doesn't treat us right!" He steps forward to Brick, shouting. "You's addin' to the problem! If you want people to start treatin' you right, you gotta prove to them why they should! Nobody's gonna listen to kids you kill each otha in the middle of the street! YOU AIN'T NO REAL NEWSIE!"

Brick's smirk falls. He punches Jack right in the jaw and then they start fighting. Everyone starts rushing at each other as the Bronx fights all of us. I notice that none of the Harlem newsies are fighting with the Bronx, which is a win for us.

I don't move from my spot, still looking at Tie's dead body. A few Bronx newsies try to swing at me, but I push them back in the crowd and let the others attack. It doesn't take long for them to start pushing the Bronx down.

A shrill whistle fills the air, and all the boys step away from each other as bulls storm the area. Following behind them, is none other than everyone's favorite rich kid, Jeremiah Pulitzer.

*A/N: Sorry this part was probably really bad. I'm terrible at writing action, if you haven't caught on, lol. First volleyball game tonight and I'm a little scared. Thanks for reading, I appreciate all of you!*