Chapter 23: Paid for It

*Danny's POV*

The Bronx was treating me awfully nice. Besides the first hit that knocked me out, they haven't touched me. They make me stay in their lodging house with guards at all times, but they haven't tied me up or anything. It's almost feels worse than being hit, because I know it means they have big plans.

It's the end of the week now, which means I've been here a few days. I wonder what's happening in Manhattan. Who told the newsies what happened to me? Were they even told?

Brick opens the door and walks toward me. I stand up quickly. The guards close the door and I hear it latch.

"Heya Brick," I say, faking a smile.

"Hey darlin'," Brick says, smirking. 

"Mind if I ask you a question?"

"Ask away."

"Why's you treatin' me so nicely? Ain't I a hostage? Shouldn't you be beatin' me?"

Brick lets out a short laugh. "Do you wanna us to beat you? I'm sure I can set up somethin'. Nah, we can't have no damaged goods. Made a few promises that if I got what I wanted by the end of the week, you wouldn't get hurt. You know what today is?"

"The end of the week," I answer quietly, suddenly worried.

"Correct, darlin'. And I don't have money in my hands or control ova Brooklyn. So, I guess neitha one of ya boyfriends care 'bout you."

"Wait you went to Jeremiah?" I ask, worried.

Brick smirks. "Ah, so you do know who I'm talkin' 'bout. Yeah, I did go to ya rich boyfriend. Told him I wanted a hundred dollas by today."

What did I do? I thought there was nothing Jeremiah could give the Bronx, but apparently, I was wrong. I put Jeremiah at risk only to be constantly lying to him and everybody else. I look away from Brick's face and up at the skylight. It's getting darker out, the selling day done. I feel like there's someone in the window. They move and the setting sun catches on the side of their face for a second.

Dash. Spot's best and fastest spy. How long has he been there? As he been watching me the entire time I've been held hostage? Wait, if Dash is here does that mean Spot's going to show up? He always seems to show up when people are in trouble. I guess that's the entire point of Brooklyn. I hope he does again this time.

"Whatcha starin' at, darlin'?" Brick asks, following my gaze to the skylight.

I quickly look back down at Brick. "Nothin'. How long do I have until you do whateva you gonna do to me?"

Brick studies the skylight for another second, and I hope Dash is out of sight by now. Brick looks back at me. "We'll give 'em an hour. Right before dark."

An hour later, I'm led to a different place. They blindfolded me so I couldn't tell where we were going. As they tie me up in a chair, fear starts building up inside me. I guess Spot isn't actually coming. I didn't expect Jeremiah to show up with a hundred dollars. It's a lot to ask, especially since we've only been hanging out for two weeks.

Someone takes the blindfold off and I'm face-to-face with Brick's smirking face. "Hey darlin'. Have a nice trip?"

I struggle against the ropes tying my hands together. "Is this really necessary? Why does the Bronx need more space anyway?"

"I'm sure that you know from the strike that the newsies are not treated well. And da Bronx ain't the greatest place to be a newsie. We ain't got no space to live and sell anymore. We gotta fend for ourselves, ya know?"