Chapter 28: Finally

After all the newsies go to bed that night, I leave for Brooklyn. I told Race, since he's the only one who knows that Spot and I are back together.

I take the backway, still aware that the Bronx could be anywhere. When I reach the docks, my favorite guards are there.

The taller one narrows his eyes when I reach them. "Danny, that you? Ain't see you 'round in a while. Thought you guys broke up."

"I don't see how that's any of your business," I say, crossing my arms. "I'm just here to see Spot."

The guards step back and let me pass. I start walking down the dock and then turn around facing them again.

"Wait, can I ask what ya names are?" I ask.

The taller one looks at me and I think he's smirking, but it's dark. "I'm Bean. And this is Stack." He gestures to the shorter one, who raises his hand in a wave.

"Like Beanstalk and Short Stack?"

Bean nods. "Yup."

"Oh. Well, thanks." I continue walking down the dock until I reach Spot's crates.

"What'd I say last time you came to Brooklyn at dark, darlin'? It ain't safe out here, 'specially with the Bronx still on the loose," Spot says, swinging down from a post.

I look up to where he came down from. "What were you doin' up there?"

Spot shrugs. "Sittin'. Lookin' at the water. And what 'bout you? Whatcha doin' here when it ain't safe?"

"I told Jeremiah everythin' today. He deserved to know the truth afta all he did for me. I'm completely yours now, Spot. I don't wanna pretend no more. I wanna be togetha, finally."

Spot stays silent for a moment. "Okay. Let's not pretend anymore then."

I spend the night in Brooklyn and wake up as the sun is rising. Spot's still asleep next to me. I shift slightly. I need to get back to Manhattan before my brother wakes up and realizes I'm gone. I sit up, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. 

"Don't leave," Spot mumbles.

I turn around to look at him. His eyes are still closed. I shake my head. "I have to get back to 'Hattan before my brudda wakes up. Otherwise, I'm gonna be in a lot of trouble."

Spot opens his eyes a little. "Who cares? I want you to stay here with me."

I grin and lean over to kiss him. "I wish I could. But I have to go sell papes. I'll see you tonight."

Spot groans, rolling over and rubbing his eyes. "Fine."

I stand up and grab my suspenders and hat off his dresser. I head towards the door but turn around before I leave. Spot's sitting up in his bed, leaning his head back on the wall, eyes closed. "Oh, and Spot?"

Spot moves his head down and opens his eyes. "Hm?"

"I love you."

Spot smiles. "I love you too, darlin'."

I make it back to 'Hattan before the boys wake up, and I climb through the window quietly before heading over to my bed and laying down. A few minutes later, Kloppman comes into the room and wakes the boys up. I get up with them, acting tired.

"Long night?" Race whispers to me, smirking, after I yawned.

I shake my head and head to the washrooms. I head out with the rest of the newsies, and we get our papers before heading out across Manhattan to sell. I don't head to the boxing rings, knowing that Jeremiah will probably be there, and remembering that he wanted space.

After selling my fifty papers around City Hall, I head to Tibby's to hang out with the boys. It's a hot summer day, probably the last hottest day before fall arrives, and then eventually, winter. I spend a few hours at Tibby's with the boys, before they head back to the lodging house.

"Danny, you comin'?" Mush asks as we head out the door.

"Nah, I'm goin' somewhere else," I say.

"With Jeremiah?" Jack asks.

"Uh, no actually. We broke up," I say, my hands fidgeting.

Mush's jaw drops. "You broke up with Jeremiah and didn't tell me?"

I laugh. "Didn't realize you were that invested in my love life, Mushy. But yeah. It wasn't a big deal. We might even still hang out sometimes, we's just givin' each otha space right now."

"So where are you goin'?" Jack asks, as confused as Mush.

I shrug. "Just walkin'. Don't wait for me when you go to bed. I'll be back by mornin'."

Mush looks concerned. "I don't know, Danny. Remember what happened last time you were walkin' by yaself? The Bronx took you. And if Jeremiah ain't with you anymore, how's you gonna get saved this time?"

"Mush, listen. I know what I'm doin'. I promise. I'll try to be back by tonight, okay?"

Jack shakes his head. "I'm with Mush on this one, Danny. I don't think it's safe for you to go out."

Race steps towards us. "Fellas, listen, Danny will be fine. The Bronx ain't gonna go afta her when Jeremiah threatened to call the police on them. She'll be fine."

Mush and Jack sigh.

"Fine. But be back by tonight. Don't disappear before mornin'," Mush says.

I nod. "I'll be back tonight." Him and Jack turn around, starting to walk away. I turn to Race and mouth thank you. He nods and I take off towards Brooklyn.

In Brooklyn, most of the boys are swimming. Even Bean and Stack aren't at their posts, too busy cooling off in the cold water. I walk through the crowded dock of wet, half-naked boys until I reach Spot's crates. Spot's sitting there, with his shirt mostly unbuttoned, sleeves rolled up, talking to a shirtless Tie.

They both turn and look at me as I stop near them.

Tie smiles. "Nice to see you back 'round, Danny."

I nod, smiling. "Nice to be back 'round. Though, Tie, it seems you have lost your shirt."

Tie laughs. "Yeah, I guess so. It's kinda hot out today, if you haven't noticed."

"Well, I still have a shirt on so it must not be that bad."

"Hey, no objections if you didn't have a shirt on!" A newsie yells from down the dock, followed by a bunch of laughter. I look down to the group laughing, eyebrows raised.

Spot stands up. "Hey, uh, you wanna say that to my girl again or do you wanna apologize?"

The entire dock falls silent, and everybody looks at Spot. A boy, who I'm assuming yelled, pales. "Uh, no. Sorry, Spot."

"I'm not the one you need to apologize to," Spot says, crossing his arms.

The boys looks at me and bites his lip nervously. "Sorry," he mutters.

"I can't hear you, what was that?" Spot asks, stepping closer.

"Sorry," The boy says louder, looking at me.

Spot does a quick nod. "That's what I thought."

I shake my head and turn back to Spot. "You didn't have to embarrass that poor boy like that."

Spot looks at me. "Hey, no one talks to my girl like that but me."

I blush and Tie fake-gags, standing. "I'm startin' to regret gettin' you two back togetha."

*A/N: School starts Monday and I'm not ready to start high school, ugh. Anyway, I got the rest of the story planned out now, so be ready for some big drama hehe*