Chapter 18: Stay

"You know where to find him," Chet says as we reach the docks.

I nod and hurry towards the crates.

"Hey darlin'," Spot says, standing up.

"Hey," I say, hugging him. "Why'd you want me here?"

Spot sighs and runs a hand over his face. "The Bronx is onto us. They know I have a girl. They find out it's you, they gonna hurt you. I can't let that happen."

"Oh," I say. "What do we do then?"

Spot takes my hand and runs his thumbs over my knuckles. "We have to act like we broke up. You can't tell anyone, not even the 'Hattan newsies. We can't have it accidentally slip. We make a big deal out of it, and the Bronx will know that you ain't the key to gettin' Brooklyn."

"But what if they think we's fakin' it and that'll you still give up Brooklyn if they have me?"

"Get with someone else."

"What?"

"You have to be seen with someone else. I will too. Not for long. Just so they know we ova each otha."

"Spot..."

"Listen, you think I wanna go back to my old habits of bein' with a ton of girls? I don't. I ain't plannin' on it bein' this way foreva. Just for a little bit. Until Bronx backs down. I have to keep my boys safe. And you. This is the only way. You gotta find someone else. Preferably not anotha newsie 'cause the Bronx could still use you as leverage."

I sigh. "I know who. If I can convince him."

Spot furrows his eyebrows. "Who?"

"You can't know. Same way I can't know 'bout your new girls. The less we know 'bout each otha the more convincin' it'll be for the Bronx."

Spot nods slowly. "I hate to do this darlin', really."

I step closer to him run my hand through his hair. "Hey, don't worry, I get it. You's keepin' everyone safe. But make sure you keep yaself safe, too, ok? I don't wanna lose you."

Spot nods. "You won't."

"Always and foreva."

"Maybe," Spot says, kissing me. He steps back and looks at the darkening sky. "Hey, it's gettin' dark. I don't think you should be walkin' back to 'Hattan right now."

"What else am I supposed to do?"

"Stay here in Brooklyn. With me. Since it's gonna be a while 'til we see each otha again."

I sigh. "That sounds amazin' but Mush would kill me if I stayed without tellin' him."

"Chet can go tell him," Spot says, nodding at Chet who was standing not so far away. "Chet, I need you to run to 'Hattan and tell Mush that Danny's stayin' here for tonight."

Chet nods and runs off.

"You shouldn't send him out in the dark. He's younga than me. If you don't want me out there, no one should be out there," I say, watching him run off the dock.

"He can protect himself. Chet's a messanga, but he knows not to be seen. Plus, if Bronx wants to hurt me, they'll strike someone closer to me. Tiny was a warning for all boroughs. Which is why we can't be together and have to be with someone else."

I sigh. "I know. But I's gonna miss you so much."

Spot gives me a sad smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "I's gonna miss you too, darlin'."

Chet comes back quicker than I was expecting him too. "Mush wasn't that happy with the decision but said OK and thanks for lettin' him know."

Spot nods. "Thanks Chet. Why don't you head in for the night? Take all the otha newsies with ya."