Chapter 29: War

It rained the night of that hot day. I got back to Manhattan right before it started pouring.

The next day, the sky is overcast, and the air is chilly. Some would say it was a warning for what was about to come.

I finish my selling and head towards Tibby's. The rest of the boys are already there when I arrive. The atmosphere is different. Instead of them being out of seats, talking, laughing, and being loud, they're sitting in their chairs solemnly. Not far from how we looked when Denton told us he was reassigned during the strike.

Jack's pacing at one end of the restaurant, a few familiar faces trying to calm him down.

"Is that the Jacobs I see?" I ask, smiling. Sarah and Les look up at me, offering me small smiles while Davey whispers something to Jack. All the other boys look at the ground. My face falls. "What's wrong? What happened?"

Mush grabs a piece of paper off the table and holds it up. I walk over and take it from him. It's a letter.

Dear Manhattan newsies,

We're informing you right now that we're tired of being confined to small space. We would like to expand. The problem is none of the boroughs want to give up their territories. There's only one way to solve the problem. War. So, I, Brick, the leader of the Bronx, officially declare war on all the newsie boroughs until we have more space. Nothing's going to stop us, so don't even try.

-The Bronx

I can't help the gasp that leaves my mouth as I cover my mouth with my hand. I look up at Jack, who's stopped pacing to look at me.

"Yeah, it's bad," Jack says, eyebrows furrowed. "I have no idea what I'm goin' to do. It's not like 'Hattan's Brooklyn and we have an army. We have nothin' to protect us."

"Well, what if we form an alliance with Brooklyn? To help each otha out. We get some of the otha boroughs in on it, and maybe we can even outnumber the Bronx," I suggest.

"Yeah, great idea, but how's we gonna get Brooklyn on our side, huh? You and Spot broke up, so we don't got nothin' tyin' us to them," Jack says, continuing his pacing.

I glance at Race, who gestures for me to talk.

I take a deep breath, already knowing the reactions that are coming. "Um, so you know how I told you I broke up with Jeremiah?"

"Yeah," Jack says. "What does that have to do with this?"

"I broke up with him 'cause Spot and I are back togetha," I say quickly.

Mush stands up and Jack stops pacing again. "What!?" They shout at the same time.

I flinch. "Listen, it's not that big of a deal. Our fight was a whole misunderstandin'. We talked 'bout it and decided that we could get back togetha. So, we did. I broke up with Jeremiah. When I leave, I've been goin' to Brooklyn. I know Spot got this same letta, and he's probably goin' through the same thing right now. At least let me talk to him."

Jack and Mush glance at each other. Jack looks around at the rest of the newsies before his gaze falls back on me. "Fine. Go get Brooklyn. Bring them here. We'll talk 'bout alliances and what we's gonna do. But be careful. The Bronx could be strikin' soon."

I nod and run out of Tibby's, getting to Brooklyn faster than normal. Bean and Stack let me in without asking questions. Spot's not at his crates, but I see Tie walking around, so I go over to him.

"Where's Spot?" I ask.

"What are you doin' here? Don't you know what's happenin'?" Tie asks, narrowing his eyes.