Chapter 27: The Truth

I didn't spend the night in Brooklyn, to both Spot and I's disappointment. But considering the fact that I told no one where I was going and it was almost midnight, I had to go back to Manhattan. I needed to talk to Jeremiah, but it was too late. Mush was in a panic when I got back to the lodging house and both him and Jack scolded me for not telling anyone where I was going because they thought the Bronx had me again. Race was the only one who talked to me about I was doing. It was hard to explain it to him without letting the whole truth fall out, but I just told him that Spot and I talked things out and were back together. He promised to keep it secret though, or at least until I told Mush myself. Who knows how he's going to react to that.

I wake up late the next morning. Most of the newsies are gone, except for the stragglers. I hurry up and get out of the lodging house in ten minutes, running to the circulation office and getting my papers. I don't sell at the boxing rings, dreading having to see Jeremiah. I have no idea what I'm going to tell him. He saved my life, and he's been nothing but nice to me, yet here I am, lying to him the entire time. Do I just tell him the truth? About everything? And hopes he takes it well?

I head towards Tibby's after selling my papers.

"There you are. Thought you disappeared," the voice I've been dreading to hear says.

I turn around, a sheepish smile on my face as I look into Jeremiah's eyes. "Hey."

"Where have you been all day?" Jermiah asks, frowning.

"I didn't want to sell at the boxin' rings today. I went to the train stations, it's busier there."

Jeremiah nods and looks around. "Well, what are you doing here? I thought we had plans to meet up after your selling."

I sigh, knowing what I have to do. "Um, yeah. Listen, I have something to tell you. Do you have a place to talk?"

Jeremiah frowns again. "Uh, yeah. C'mon."

Jeremiah grabs my hand and leads me down the street while I question everything I'm about to do.

We end up at a small park. It's mostly empty, expect for two kids around ten throwing a ball back and forth and a couple walking. Jeremiah and I sit down on a bench.

"What do you need to tell me?" Jeremiah asks.

I sigh and turn so I'm facing him. "Listen, you's honestly one of the best people I've eva met. You's really nice, and you ain't nothin' like your grandfatha, which is great. You saved me from the Bronx when you barely knew me, you bought me the most expensive meals I've eaten, and you've been nothin' but nice to all the newsies. They love you as much as I do."

Jeremiah lets out a nervous laugh. "Why do I feel a breakup coming?"

I grab his hand. "You've been nothin' but nice to me, but I've been lyin' to you the entire time."

Jeremiah frowns. "Lying? About what?"

"Everythin'." The entire story comes falling out of me. From the part where Spot and I got together, to the kid from the Bowery, to Spot and I's fake break-up, our real break-up, and then last night on the rooftop.

Jeremiah's silent when I finish.

"I know I lied, and I was wrong. But I promise, I neva met for this entire thing to go like this. Spot and I were just tryin' to protect the newsies. I didn't think the Bronx would go to you. I know I cost you a lot of money, and I'm sorry, really," I continue. He still doesn't say anything. "Please say somethin', Jeremiah. I understand if you's mad."

Jeremiah takes a deep breath. "I'm not mad. Just extremely confused. You're saying that you never really wanted to hang out with me?"

"At first, it was all just a distraction for the Bronx. But then I started enjoyin' hangin' out with you. I thought I caught feelings for you too, so when Spot actually broke up with me, I went to you 'cause I thought that's what I wanted. And I love hangin' out with you, 'cause you's funny and nice and sweet and all that, but I just don't think I want a romantic relationship. Really though, if this is the last time, we see each otha, that's fine too. Whateva you want to do. I just wanted to explain. And again, thanks for savin' me and I'm sorry I lied to you so much."

Jeremiah shakes his head. "No, it's fine, really. I understand why you had to do it. You were just trying to protect all the newsies. I had a lot of fun hanging out with you too, and I think that if we still could see each other every now and then, that woud be great. I'm just going to need a little time before we do that. To really understand everything, you know?"

I nod quickly. "Yes, yeah, I totally get it. You take your time."

Jeremiah nods and stands. "Cool. I better get going then. Thanks for telling me the truth."

"I had to at some point."

Jeremiah gives me a small smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "Yeah. Bye Danny."

"Bye Jeremiah."

*A/N: yay now her and Spot can live happily ever after. Maybe. I finished the last episode of hsmtmts earlier and I was actually crying, I'm so sad that show is over. Alsoooooo, for volleyball I'm the JV setter, so yay! JV doesn't have as many games as varsity, so hopefully I'll still get to post everyday.*