Chapter 26: What Are We Meant To Do?

I sit up quickly and turn around. "Tie?"

The newsie smiles. "Hey Danny."

"What are you doin' here?"

"Can I sit?" Tie asks, gesturing to the roof next to me. I nod and he sits next to me. "I came to talk to you 'bout Spot."

"I really don't wanna hear 'bout him right now."

"I know you don't. And I know you's happy with the otha guy. I'm not here 'cause Spot sent me. I'm here 'cause I'm his closest friend and I care 'bout him."

"Did he tell you the truth?"

"Not exactly. But I could tell your first break-up was fake. Spot promised he wasn't gonna go back to his old habits, and he keeps his promises. I knew that when he went back on his word that things were gettin' bad with the Bronx. I know he went to 'Hattan and what happened with that 'cause Chet told me. He saw what happened."

"So, you know that I didn't mean anythin' with the kiss?"

Tie shrugs. "That's between you, Jeremiah, and Spot. I can't tell what you mean or not. I'm just here to talk 'bout Spot."

"Well, what's wrong with him?"

"I don't know, but two weeks ago he was gettin' with a different girl every two days, and this past week he hasn't gotten with any. He gets up early, sells his papes, and then goes back to the lodgin' house and spends all his time alone. He neva joins on anythin' anymore and is barely leadin' at this point."

"What do I have to do with that?"

"He's mad. But he's also sad, and probably a little heartbroken, even if he doesn't want to admit it. He misses you, Danny. Really. I can tell."

"He should've thought 'bout that before he turned jealous and became a hypocrite," I snap.

Tie sighs. "Listen, I know you's mad too. And from what I know, you have every right to be. I understand if you's happy with Jeremiah and don't want Spot back. But you guys' left things on bad terms. I think it would help if you talked to him."

"I would try to talk to him, but I don't think he wants to talk to me."

Tie shrugs. "You neva know until you try, right?"

I pause, thinking. Tie's right, we did end things on bad terms. I don't even know if I'm happier with Jeremiah, because I'm constantly missing Spot. If Tie's right, it sounds like Spot misses me too. Even if we don't end up together again, at least we can talk about everything, right?

I nod slowly. "Alright. I'll talk to him. But we have to go now."

I follow Tie to the Brooklyn lodging house. Most newsies are just coming in for the night.

Tie nods up the stairs. "He'll be up there."

I glance around, sigh, and then head up the stairs. I knock on the door.

"Go away, Tie," Spot says. My heart melts at the sound of his voice.

"It's not Tie," I say.

There's silence on the other side of the door until it swings open, revealing an angry looking Spot.

"What are you doin' here?" Spot asks.

"I brought her here," Tie says from the bottom of the steps.

Spot walks past me towards the stairs. "Why would you do that, huh? I don't wanna see her."

Tie rolls his eyes. "Please, Spot. You guys obviously need to talk 'bout a few things."

Spot turns around towards me. "I don't wanna talk, so why don't you just head back to Jeremiah?"