CHAPTER 7

SARAH

Present

I grabbed my phone from the table and my white coat from the chair and moved towards the door of my cabin, still in my scrubs. I stood near the door before closing it, taking in the view of the room to check if I forgot something.

A personal office in a hospital was all I wanted and I'm so proud of myself to say it's finally Dr. Sarah's office.

"You're leaving?" Someone said,
I jerked my head towards doctor Gopal who stood at my side while going through some papers in his hands with his round glasses on.

"Yes, doctor." I said. Settling my white coat between my arms.

"Can I ask why?" He said, his eyes still on the papers.

"It's uh... It's actually an emergency at my house and my mother wants me to be home. So, I've to leave early." I lied because Doctor Gopal is not a fan of letting his juniors go home before midnight and definitely not to let them hang out with their friends.

"Is it?" He asked looking over from his glasses that set loose down on his nose.

"Yes. Of course." I swallowed as my mouth suddenly went dry and sweat covered my hairline.

"You know Sarah I'll be gone soon. This hospital, my juniors, our staff. You all are like my family. And I just want to spend these few days with you all guys before I'm finally gone." He said, with a sad smile.

His words struck me and guilt weighed heavily on me for lying to him. He's right. He's like my own second father, who is grumpy but is always there for me.

He helped me to set up myself in this hospital when I was new here. And just because of him the hospital now feels like home. My mind raced with these thoughts as I looked at him with a heavy heart.

"I'm sorry Dr. Gopal. I-" I tried to speak but he interrupted by raising his hand in a 'stop' way.

Needles prick my throat. I looked down to avoid the guiltiness and my watery eyes.

I just want to cry because he'll be gone and I don't know how I will live here between unknown people and with other staff, who barely talk. I hate myself for being this selfish.

"Sarah, bache." Dr. Gopal called out, spreading his arms. And for the first time I saw water in his eyes.

I cried and went to hug him. His warm hug felt like home.

"I'll miss you doctor Gopal and I'm sorry, I lied."I said between sobs.

"That's okay, beta. I'll miss you too." He said, trying to hold back his tears.

I let out everything which is in my heart with the water sputtering out of my eyes.

The ache which I've been feeling for a few days and everything which is in there. I just want it to go away with the tears spilling down from my cheeks.

He pushed me back and nudged his glasses back up his nose.

"You go now okay." He said inhaling a sob.

"No. I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry doctor I lied, but now I want to spend time with you. And I'm ready for a night shift too." I told him, wiping my eyes.

"Sarah. That's okay, you can go wherever you want to." He said, wearing a half smile.

"It's nothing important. It was just- my friend Tanvi. She just had a surprise or something-"

"A surprise!" He said, interrupting me.
I looked at him confused, seeing a sudden smile on his face.

"Well, now if you've told me that, you have to go. Because I'm not going to ruin something for you. It's your age, kid. Go and have some fun."