CHAPTER 1

SARAH

Present

The sound of ambulances hooting in the distance, kids crying, people roaming here and there, chatter between the receptionists and patients filled the outside.

  Despite the noise, I felt alone in my office lost in my thoughts. It's been a month since my father's death. He was in a coma for three years and a month back he finally took his last breath. The pain of losing a loved one is unbearable. I miss him every day, and it's harder than I ever thought it would be.

   My dad always wanted me to help people and be their life savior. It was his dream to make me a doctor and eventually it became mine too.

The last two years have been pathetic for me. I lost my best friend, my boyfriend left and then my dad.
Tears filled the corner of my eyes as the flashbacks of those past years came in. But before they could roll down, someone jerked the door open.

  "Dr. Sarah." Dr. Gopal's Voice Startled me and I looked up at him. He stood there glaring at me.

"I gave you a patient's file. What are you doing? We've to go for the surgery." He said, fiercely.

I suddenly stood up and stuttered, "Ye-Yes I've gone through it doctor and was uh… about to come."

He paused for a moment sensing my uneasiness and cocked an eyebrow, staring at me. "You okay?" he asked, tensing my misery.

  "Yes, I'm fine, doctor, It was just...." A lump formed in my throat and I paused, looking down.

"Sarah, is everything okay?" He asked, worriedly.

"Yes, I'm all good.” I said, curling my lips.

"You're lying to yourself Sarah, and you know this." His voice, stern.

  I looked away as tears filled my eyes, I rolled my lips trying to control them.

  He came near my table and held my shoulders. "Remember you're strong, just like your dad." He said, looking in my eyes. "You've come this far, and you'll make it through. Your dad would be proud of the person you've become, and he'd want you to keep going, no matter what."

His words resonated with me, and I nodded looking up at him.
He caressed my hair and picked up a file from the table "See you at the OT in five minutes." He said and left my cabin.

  Dr. Gopal was a fat and grumpy old doctor. He had the most generous and warm heart. I became close to him after my father's death. He treats me like his own daughter and I see him as my advisor and supporter. But he would retire soon as he could no longer move around the hospital with gimps. Yes. I'll miss him.

   I took a deep shaky breath and gathered my composure, setting myself up to go for the operation.
But my phone rang. It was Tanvi.

  "Hey there my doctor Sarah!  how's it going ?" She said, cheerfully.

  "Hi, nothing much, just about to go for surgery. What's up?" I replied, trying to sound casual.

"Oh well, I wanted to tell you that today, I am coming to pick you up after work."

  "But why? I have my own car."

"Yeah, Edan is going to take care of your car. We're going somewhere tonight."

"What? Where? Is it a girls night again?" I asked.
  I am not in the mood to party or chill. And I definitely didn't enjoy how the last girls night out with Tanvi and her friends became a couple's night out.

"No, of course not. You'll see."She chuckled.

"Could you just tell-"

  "No." She interrupted. "I'm not going to tell you anything. You are coming with us tonight 'cause we have a surprise for you."

"Tanvi but-"

"Bye. See you tonight sweetheart." She hung up.
   I smiled to myself.

  Tanvi is also the one who saved me when my life was shit. It was when Kiya, one of my closest friends, had a heart attack and my ex broke up. I was at the point of dying then, I had no one to hold onto, not even my parents as they were in a different city.

   She came and helped me from drowning in my sorrow filled ocean. Since then we have become besties.

   But, not everything remains the same.

   Edan entered her life and after him, she doesn't have much time to spend with me. But I guess It's okay. She held me at my worst and she deserves some happiness for herself too. They both remind me of me and Jay. My ex-boyfriend.

My heart ached as the memories started flooding back and my eyes lit up.

   I left my phone on the table and rushed out of my cabin, wiped away the tears before they could roll down.

___________________

..................................................................................

Hello there!
Thank you for reading ♡♡
Please vote and follow me on Instagram if you liked the chapter.
Also, do tell me your thoughts.
See ya...♡