1

"Lucy, are you ready for dinner?" my mum shouted from downstairs, her voice as cheery as usual.

I was quickly pulled from my daydreams and ran down the stairs, greeted my parents who were waiting by the door.

I'd chosen to wear a yellow and white top, paired with my favourite denim shorts. A classic outfit worn by the teens of amity.

We quickly began the short walk to the canteen, engrossed in happy chatter. I can't really remember anytime my parents hadn't been happy, but I suppose that's just the life at amity. I don't remember seeing anyone unhappy here.

The faction all ate together, sharing the juicy fruits and food that were grown a few metres away. We believe that being a part of a strong community is what makes the the harmony easier to achieve.

The loud buzz of chatter quickly grew as we approached the large canteen, it was filled with clothes of bright colour and happy emotions.

A large oak tree was located in the centre of the room, with a food station on the right, and plenty of long wooden tables around it. Most of the seats were full, and there was a smile on everyone's face. I spotted Johanna sat in the far left, recognising her immediately. She might not be a leader, but her role made her the most important and recognised person in the faction.

We walked and took our usual places, sitting next to my auntie and my cousins.

"Are you ready for your test tomorrow?" my auntie asked as me as I sat down. She was my mums sister, and her name was Katie. You could tell they were related. They both had blonde hair and emerald green eyes. I got their eyes, but my dads brown hair genes.

Tomorrow's events had been discussed loads, the family had extreme belief that I would be given the result of amity. I could never tell them I didn't feel at home here.

"Yes, I am" I smiled, "although, I already know my result."

My family laughed, but if only they knew. I'd feel bad about leaving them, especially as I was the only child my parents were able to convince, but it was my life and I needed to live it at the faction where I would be most happy. I couldn't let them hold me back.

I quickly grabbed a piece of bread from the woven basket in the middle of the table, brushing away the feelings of guilt that weighed in my mind. I couldn't help but feel a little bad.

The rest of the meal went by in a blur, mainly spent listening to my dad who was giving me a run down of what to expect during the aptitude test the following morning. He always over analysed things, but it showed how much he cared about my future.

I wasn't nervous for the test though, as most teens are. Sure, being injected with a serum isn't on my bucket list, but it's not like I can avoid the process. And anyway, I'd known since I was five I knew exactly what I was doing. What faction I would be choosing at the choosing ceremony, which took place the day after the aptitude tests were carried out. I'd been counting down the days; excited to leave this life behind and start my new one.