Chapter 1: Emptiness

~Colin's POV~

"If we keep going the way we are going we will be twenty percent over our budget for the end of the year. Someone is going to have to make some cuts."

I stare blankly down at the meeting agenda barely absorbing the conversation points that the others are discussing.

"Goodbye Colin," Emery says, sniffling a little thanks to her tears.

"Mr. Corrette?"

I blink and sigh heavily looking up and over at Presley Patel, the chief of finances.

"The easiest way to cut our budget is cut back on executives and extras, cut a few trips, cut back the number of overtime hours," Flynn Shaffer, the chief of operations says.

I slowly shake my head "we are worried about morel but our first thought when our budget is a little tight is to cut our incentives." I pause a moment before shaking my head, I don't really have good enough head space to entertain these idiots or this meeting, I haven't been for a week.

I get to my feet. "Sort it out," I say over my shoulder as I walk out not leaving any time or room for questions or debate.

I head up to my office to grab my laptop and jacket before texting Reese to meet me outside. From inside my jacket, I pull a black carbon fibre flask and take a sip quickly and shove it back inside the pocket, the beating behind my eyes is a sign that I need to drink more to stay ahead of the headache.

I make a stop on the fifty-sixth floor, I hesitate a moment before crossing over to Ashlyn Doyle's office. I knock gently on the office door, doing my best from keeping my gaze away from the corner office.

"Come in."

I step in at the words and Doyle's eyes widen.

"Mr. Corrette, sir," Doyle says nearly jumping to her feet as she tosses a sandwich and the wrapper in the garbage. She dusts a few crumbs off her skirt as she stands and offers to shake my hand.

I frown a little when I spy the, I hope that is mayo, on her fingers. I grab a tissue from the end of the desk and pass it to her. "Miss Doyle."

Doyle blushes deeply as she takes the tissue and cleans her hands before offering her hand again, this time I accept.

"How is Miss Palmer handling everything?" I ask nonchalantly.

Doyle's eyes widen more, and she giggles a little like a gossipy schoolgirl. Perhaps Emery's roommate would have been a better source of information, or Jay the Asshole, no there was no way I was going to that man to get information on her, no way.

"She seems to be alright, a little sullen this week though," Doyle replies after a moment.

I nod slowly, that isn't much, but it will have to do. I am not going to get much more without Doyle running to Emery to tell her I was asking about her and that is not part of what I promised. I promised her that if something went wrong between us, I would act professionally. I just was not expecting professionally to be so hard to pull off.

"Thank you, not a word of this to Miss Palmer, understand?" I ask, letting the strict, stern voice I use when I am not to be crossed slip in. Without much of a farewell, I head out of the office and back onto the elevator.

On the street Reese, my personal security and driver, is waiting for me. When I step out of the building, he pulls open the door for me. "Sir," he says formally.

When he is behind the wheel he glances at me in the rearview mirror. "Dr. Anca's office, sir?"

"No, have London reschedule for next week," I order instantly. I am definitely not in the mood to go to therapy and discuss my feelings.