Chapter 47: Andromeda

"Ah!" The feeling of an ice-cold hand on her shoulder nearly stripped Penny to the bone. She wouldn't be surprised if a skeleton version of herself now roamed the main lab.

She and Sylveon whirled around and saw Kenji was the one who scared her. "What in the name of Paldea are you doing?" Penny whispered, re-adjusting her crooked glasses and swatting Kenji's arm.

"What does it look like?" he whispered back. "I'm rescuing you. It's not safe in the charging stations." He motioned toward the room where Turo took Arven. "We have to get to the control room."

Turo's AI army came to life. The AI people convulsed, and the AI Pokémon cried out as if they were in pain. Pairs of white, glowing eyes joined Infrared's lone red ones, allowing her to stick out.

"No, he pressed the button," Kenji growled. He started to twitch slightly.

Penny knew he was fighting Turo's order to turn 100% robotic like the other AIs, so she calmed herself and steadied her voice. "What's going on, Kenji?"

"This is all my fault," he said to himself. "I should have never helped Turo."

"What are you talking about?" Penny still wasn't sure if she could trust him, but at the same time, she did not want to become the AIs midnight soufflé with a cherry on top. Therefore, she assumed Kenji referred to his past days with Turo and followed him out of the charging station.

Sylveon tagged close behind.

Kenji gestured for the others to stay put and dragged Penny into a cramped, cool room. With all its buttons and occasional flashing lights, it looked like a miniature cockpit.

He pulled the door shut but kept it cracked. Twitching more now, Kenji grasped Penny's arms and turned her around. "Listen to me, Penny. I know you don't trust me, but you have to. You and Miraidon are the only ones who can save Arven, Sada, and that baby. I can't. I'm going to become one of those AIs soon."

Penny released herself. "I don't understand." She was merely a stupid girl who had a seventh grade crush on a high school senior. What could she do?

A minute passed before Kenji spoke again, and his choked voice glitched. "I have a confession to make." His face reddened like heating coal.

"Oh yeah?" Penny backed away from her temporary roommate. "What could be worse than learning you used to work with that psychopath?" She doubted there was, but boy, was she wrong!

Kenji's scarlet face turned crimson. "You see, I-I was the one Turo sent to the present to preserve Professor Sada's reproductive organs," he stuttered. "Turo wanted a new kid but not with any other woman. He loved Sada. However, he refused to return to the present to do it because he did not want to risk seeing Arven again. So, I went to the present and... and since I used to work in OB..."

"Oh my God!" Penny almost threw up. "That's disgusting!" That was too much for her thirteen-year-old brain to digest.

"I know." Kenji shivered. "Our future technology made it possible, but I felt so guilty afterward. I couldn't live with that burden on my shoulders, so I left and vowed never again to be Turo's partner. AI Sada didn't deserve it—she was so beautiful—but Turo wanted no memories of the past. He saw Sada die, and it crushed him. Seeing AI Sada made it worse. Therefore, he programmed her with Infrared, and I—"

"I don't need to hear anymore!" Penny was furious. Turo really was the Mastermind of Deception and the ultimate AI abuser. How could he force Kenji to act against his will, all because he couldn't accept his wife's death? Penny wanted to kick Turo where it hurt, and if that meant shutting down Infrared herself, so be it. "What do I need to do, Kenji?" she snarled.

"That is something you need to figure out yourself." Seriously? Kenji had to pull the riddle move on Penny? "You're a smart girl. You can do it. Here's a hint—you need Miraidon, the Scarlet Book, and AI Sada."

"Wait, AI Sada?" Penny poked her head out of the door's crack and zeroed in on her.

She roamed the lab with the other AIs and knocked over tables and chairs while she scouted her prey. Splitting up confused her after all. Nonetheless, she still looked like M3GAN on a good day.

Penny lifted an eyebrow. "She's so out of it, though."

"How have you reverted her to her human personality before?" Kenji again placed his hand on her shoulder. "Start there, Penny."

Penny did. She recalled when she and her friends first landed in the past. Arven snapped Sada out of her trance with his voice. Penny was no Arven, but talking about him was probably her best shot. She had to get guts and be brave. Perhaps it would be good practice for showing her emotions better. "Okay, Kenji." Penny's nostrils flared. "I think I know what I need to do."

"Slve." Sylveon moved her chin under Penny's. Her feelers waved, indicating she was ready for battle.

"No, Sylveon." Penny scratched her behind the ear. "This is something I need to do myself. You look out for Kenji and the others."

"Slve!"

"I mean it, Sylveon." Penny removed Arven's backpack, unzipped it, and released the Scarlet Book. She tucked it under her armpit. "I'm the one who likes Arven and was the mastermind behind Team Star."

"Slve." Sylveon lowered her head and tucked Arven's bag under her furry chest, reminiscent of what a mother bird did with her eggs. She nodded at her partner.

"Good girl." Penny glanced at Kenji. "Don't worry, Kenji. I'll figure this out. Turo will never force you to act against your will again."

"Thank you, Penny. You're a true leader." Kenji bowed to her. "Good luck."

Never in her thirteen years of living had those words felt so therapeutic. They were just what Penny needed to get her foot out the door.

She plopped down on her hands and knees and crawled into the main lab, sneaking toward Infrared and the galaxy of AI people and Pokémon.

... Andromeda, Penny thought. So this is what it looks like.