Chapter 34: Pride and Prejudice

Sada almost fell asleep while waiting for Arven to wake up. She distracted herself by sitting in the see-through chair by his bed next to the window and studying the Violet Book again. She paid close attention to the chapters about the Future Pokémon and the ones Turo added about Infrared.

Miraidon dozed off at the foot of Arven's bed. Sada let him sleep. As Arven's mother, she had to stay awake.

Finally, he stirred and slowly opened his eyes. "Mom?" he asked in a weak voice.

"I'm here, Arven." Sada shut the book and put it in her coat. She picked up her chair and slid closer to Arven's head. She caressed his hair and gripped his hand with her free one.

Arven looked at her. "What happened?"

"You got sick, so Miraidon and I brought you to the hospital."

"What about my friends?"

"They went to heal Nemona's Meowscarada and should be here soon." Sada started to remove her hand, but Arven grabbed it back.

"Penny was right," he chokingly spoke. "It's Broken Heart Syndrome, isn't it?"

"Yeah." Sada squeezed his hand. "The doctors diagnosed it. They're going to keep you here overnight and release you tomorrow."

"Thank gosh. I don't wanna be here."

"I don't think anyone does." Sada chuckled at her joke.

Arven inhaled. "Where's Miraidon?"

"He's asleep at the foot of your bed—the little booger. Or, big booger."

"What about Mabosstiff?"

Sada stood from her chair. "Do you want me to get him for you?"

"Yes, please."

On her way to Arven's vest that hung on the coat rack with his knapsack, Sada noticed him staring at her belly. "You okay, Ven?" she inquired, stopping at the rack.

He sat up. "Is it true?"

"Is what true?" Sada unzipped one of the pockets on Arven's vest and pulled out Mabosstiff's pokéball.

"You know what I mean, Mom. Am I really going to be a big brother?"

Sada seized up but took a deep breath and returned to Arven. "You are." She handed him Mabosstiff's pokéball and propped up his pillows.

"But how? It's only been a month."

"Time works differently in the past, present, and future. It may be a month in your time, Ven, but it's been longer in mine." Sada plopped down in her chair. "Believe me, son, I didn't want it to happen, but your dad deceived me."

"So, you're not a full-fledged AI?"

"Not anymore. Turo turned me into a cyborg."

Arven gritted his teeth. "That son of a—"

"Watch your language, kid." Sada tucked Arven in and caressed his hair some more.

For a few minutes, he was silent, and then he asked, "Boy or girl? Honestly, Mom, I want a sister."

Sada tittered. "Miraidon and I are at war with this. He thinks it's a boy, but I think it's a girl."

Arven shuffled and blushed. "Can-Can I see her?"

"Of course." Sada turned in her chair and unbuttoned her lab coat. She removed it and set it on her lap.

At the sight of her belly, Arven smiled. "Wow." He lifted his hand and moved it toward Sada's bump, but he reeled. "Can I—? No, I'm sorry."