Chapter 15

Kinsey kept her hands tightly woven in her lap as she gazed out the window and watched the streetlights pass by. They were on their way to Damon's place, and she was a bundle of nerves. Going to an event full of important, influential people had been frightening enough, and facing her parents after being kicked out of their home had been terrifying. Little did she know, she had one more daunting obstacle to face tonight. 

Sex.

She had read up on Sabrina's books, having very little experience to work on, since her late high school years, and had come to the conclusion she was terrible at it. Everything she had done with Tyler was pale in comparison to the scenes in Sabrina's books. She was going to be awful with Damon and he was going to break up with her. She just knew it. 

But, despite knowing that, she wanted to give it a shot. She liked Damon. Desired him far beyond any man she had laid eyes on before. She was as ready as she was ever going to be.

That didn't mean she couldn't be nervous.

The drive helped. He lived in a part of town she had never set foot in; it was out of the way, following the river on the west side, consisting mostly of townhouses and apartment complexes. There was no reason for her to pass through the area. A shame, because it was beautiful. There weren't as many parks here as there were in the University District, but they made up for it by planting garden beds along the pathways and having trees grow in between lanes. The air smelt fresher by the river and the trail that ran parallel to it. The city's lights reflected off the river's surface, looking much like an array of colourful stars. She bet it looked gorgeous during the sunrise. 

Before she knew it, the limo had pulled up in front of six story building that sat right on the edge of the river. The driver exited and quickly came around to open the door for her. She stepped out and took in the simplicity of the building while Damon came to her side. She looked up at him.

He followed her gaze, eyebrows bunching together. "What is it?"

"I. . ." She flushed, embarrassed for judging his home. "I didn't expect an Alpha to live in such an ordinary apartment building. I kinda thought you'd be living on acres of land surrounded by tall fences and security." The Alpha in Sabrina's book lived in a mansion.

He smirked. "I'm not worth my rank if I can't protect myself," he explained, amused. "If I lived in a big, ostentatious house, I might as well tell everyone where I live. It's better to keep a low profile."

She swallowed. It had just dawned on her that other shifters would want to kill him to take his rank. As was tradition in any dominance hierarchy. How many times a day did he have to fight for his life?

He must have sensed her panic, because he added, "I won't let anyone hurt you, Kinsey."

She nodded absently, eyes wandering over to the other cars in the parking lot. It couldn't be helped. What if someone was watching them right now, waiting for the chance to strike.

Huffing, Damon swept her up into his arms, eliciting a squeal out of her. She gripped his shoulders for balance. He carried her bridal style through the front doors, a man held it open for them.

She laughed when he insisted on carrying her into the elevator. "I can walk, you know."

His eyes narrowed in on her, definitively insulted she suggested he release her. "You've been complaining about your feet this past hour. I won't make you walk any further."

She giggled into the crook of his neck.

Ever since she had told him she would go home with him, he had been in high spirits. They had danced until her feet couldn't take it any more then they charmed money out of people. The treasurer estimated they had raised more tonight than they had during previous galas Damon had hosted.