XXV - "Honey"

(let's bring some memories back istg😭)

"Don't worry, they love you." Ajax whispered to me smiling as the doors to the ballroom opened and all eyes were on us. Or maybe on me. Everyone wore masks, which is why it was difficult to recognize the individual people, although we also wore masks, the people knew exactly who we were. The crowd whispered as we strode through the hall, I curtsied to the Tsaritsa and paid her the respect Her Majesty deserved.
Ajax bowed shooting her a serious look and the goddess nodded. The man next to her, my father, slightly bowed to me, probably shocking the residents who were gathered around us.

Then my boyfriend turned to me and now bowed elegantly, holding his hand out for me with a smirk on his face. "May I ask for this first dance, Milady?" Surprised, I looked down at him who wouldn't move until I took his hand. I realised that he had changed, we had all changed, we grew older and more mature.

I curtsied in front of him and the music started playing as he pulled me into his arms. He placed his right hand on my hip, my left resting on his shoulder as we began to float through the room. I felt comfortable in his presence, I felt safe, safe from all the doubts and dangers. I looked deep into his blue eyes and saw a small smirk on his lips as he spun me into a solo spin, the other guests also started dancing.

I think he was about to tell me something when there was a hand clapping and someone pulled me away from him. I ended up in the arms of another man, whom I recognized immediately, even with a mask. I threw a quick glance back at Ajax, who kept his eyes on me and was only half-hearted with his new dance partner. "Y/N." The man drew my full attention and I made a face. "Kuni..."

"Listen, I don't have much time to explain myself, but let me finish." He spun me around and caught me in his arms again before beginning to talk. "I was jealous, I think it's unfair. I don't have the right or the ability to experience something like Tartaglia can experience with you." I got confused and tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

He sighed softly repeating himself. "I will never be able to experience that." Then they clapped again, the balladeer released me into another man's arms but I couldn't focus on the new one. "What do you mean?" I yelled but he had disappeared through the crowd already. With a sigh I turned to face my new partner, he was about a head taller than me and had perfectly curled blonde hair.

I squinted at the familiarity of his eyes, they were as green as fresh leaves. "Is everything alright, your grace?" He asked with a confident smile on his lips and I stuttered. "Y-yes, sorry you just seemed familiar." Even his voice sounded like his. But he wasn't as tall as that crazy person back then plus he was dead so there could've been no way it was him. His hand suddenly wandered and his thumb brushed my lips. "You really have changed, honey~"

I ripped my eyes wide opened as I realised who it was and as I pushed him away I already saw Ajax rush in front of me with a blade in his hand. "You dare touch my woman again?!" He yelled out in anger, his voice barely recognisable. My body was trembling in fear as the man took off his mask, revealing Jian below it. "I thought you were dead..." My throat was dry and it was hard for me to speak.

I saw Ajax tighten his grip on the blade and bit his lip. "Ajax?" I whispered in confusion but he didn't pay me any attention as he was fully focused on the young man in the center of the room. The other guests panicked and rushed to the doors. "Call the guards!" I ordered Viktor who was standing right behind me. He bowed briefly and left the hall as well.

Jian sneered and wanted to take a step towards me and I clung to Ajax. "You act like I traumatized you more than he did. You seem surprised, so your friend didn't tell you?" He crossed his arms but seemed confident and gave me a dirty grin. "Boyfriend." Ajax hissed angrily, I felt his body heat up and he trembled with anger. Through the glass dome of the palace one could see that the sky was darkening and a thunderstorm was developing.

I frowned at my boyfriend, my nails digging into the fabric of his coat. "Tell me what?" He clenched his teeth and hissed quietly. "That back then, it was just a clone." My eyes widened, the dream I had then, it really had a meaning. What if everything was true. I felt the color drain from my face and my legs giving in. Ajax put his arm around me to support me and suddenly I felt a cold draft of air.

Shocked I turned around to see a yaksha, with tears in my eyes and happy to see that he was doing fine aside from a few cuts I rushed to him. My boyfriend wasn't happy with my reaction, Xiao seemed to avoid trouble and avoided me, however, there was a soft smile on his face. "This Viktor said you need help." However, his soft gaze strained when he saw the man in the middle. A short time later, dozens of agents stormed into the room and gathered around the attacker, everything happened so quickly.

Jian sighed as he looked around. "All this touches me deeply, but I think I'd better go now." He bowed lithely, Ajax gave the order to seize him but suddenly the blond disappeared in a puff of smoke. "Fuck!" The ginger cursed and was nearly caught in a flash of flame. "I've had enough of this!" He yelled hatefully, transforming into his Foul Legacy form even though Jian was already gone. "Ajax stop!" I wanted to reach out for my boyfriend who was now caught in the middle of flames, all the agents leaving the hall in a rush.

Xiao grabbed my arm and violently dragged me to the ground and threw himself on top of me to protect me from a sudden explosion. Panting, I clung to him, I didn't understand what was happening, everything was happening way too fast. My body was shaking and I burst into tears, but Xiao stayed reasonably calm and stroked my hair. The flame hadn't caught him, as he got off me I could tell that Ajax was fine too.

He was kneeling on the ground and slowly transforming back, I rushed towards him and suddenly he screamed in anger.