XIX - "That ring"

My breath was heavy. I suddenly felt something cold on my forehead and sat up, startled. "Doctor!" I would scream. As I looked around, Cyno was on a chair next to me and gave me a stunned look before grabbing my shoulders and pushing me back onto the bed. "Still Cyno, now stay still, you need to rest." He growled in a serious voice as he dabbed another cold rag on my forehead.

"What happened?" I gasped wearily and the young man sighed. "Your body was in some kind of shock, like a trauma response. Your heart almost stopped beating and you passed out." He explained calmly. "It's been a few days now, have something to eat first." The young man helped me sit up carefully and handed me a tray with a sandwich on it that I hesitantly took.

"Are you going to seal the powers now?" I finally asked with full seriousness but he would stare at me wide-eyed and wrinkle his nose. "You would die." With the last bite, I muttered under my breath. "I've done so many bad things and wronged so many people that I don't think anyone would miss me."

The white-haired stood up and grumbled. "And what about us, idiot?" I looked up at him with wide eyes and he was standing in front of me with his arms crossed. "What about me, Alhaitham, Tighnari and Collei? The town kids you always play with in the afternoons? They were all there to visit you and you say nobody cares."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes immediately. "They were here?" Cyno merely nodded. "All together." He would sigh and dry my tears with a cloth. "Alhaitham will pick you up shortly."

"Where are my clothes?" I asked while rubbing my head, he was pointing at a chair they were hanging over. I looked at Cyno briefly and he understood, he got up and wanted to leave the room, but before he did that, he said something to me. "When you have no one to go to, you know that you will always be welcome in Sumeru."

I gave him a soft nod and smiled, then he left. Didn't take too long for Alhaitham to arrive, we went into town together to a café and he invited me to dinner and some tea.

—————

"I could make her forget everything that happened and you could start over again."

"So she would loose all of her memories?"

"That's the point, master."

"What if she doesn't fall in love with me?"

"Then she never loved you."

"So erasing her memories would mean our love would be based on lies and betrayal, and if she'd ever find out..."

"She wouldn't."

"Bullshit! Stupid agent, I'm going to talk to her and take her back home."

"What if she doesn't want to?"

"I'll kidnap her, she doesn't stand a chance against me, or do you think she would dare to hurt her loved ones?"

"I mean she did kill a person..."

"Shut up! My life is worth nothing without my divine lady, the majesty will hopefully understand my absence."

—————

"You're wearing a ring." Alhaitham said after a while. "Perhaps you are engaged?" Ouch, that did hurt. "I was engaged, it's been more than a year now."

"Why do you still wear that ring then if it's a past love?"

"It reminds me of him, the color of the crystal has the same as his eyes..." I pulled it off my finger and held it against the light, so that it shimmered ocean blue. I remembered how he used to look at me before I found out, before I caused trouble. He would always look at me brightly, stare and smile, whenever he was passionate about something his eyes would shine brightly and he wouldn't stop talking.

Whenever I looked into the bright blue sky, I felt like I was looking into his eyes. Whenever I watched the night sky, I remembered that he would be watching the same sky as me, the stars and the moon...

"So you still love him." He sighed as he rested his head on his hand. "I did many things wrong, I hope he could ever forgive me, I'm taking all the blame on me."

After this conversation there was no further exchange of words between us, he paid for the meals and we left. "Maybe Cyno had told you already but you do have friends here in Sumeru, always feel free to come back if you've got anything on your heart or your mind that you want to share with us."

He smiled softly, I returned it. "I appreciate this, thanks a lot sir." I giggled softly and even his throat escaped a soft chuckle. "Alhaitham."

Then the next moment, I felt something. A sting in my back, the pace of my heartbeat would pick up and the hair on my neck would stand up straight. I felt the presence of... "Ajax..." I muttered softly as I spotted him leaning against a wall staring at me.

"Alhaitham, I..." I felt uncomfortable and kind of bad for wanting to leave like that but he shook his head and gently pushed me into the direction of my ex boyfriend. "Do what you gotta do, thank you for the nice day."

I then turned my whole attention back to Ajax who now was approaching me, my heart was pounding against my chest.