On Patrol

3 weeks later.

3 weeks, the longest 3 goddamn weeks of your life. You swore after this that you would never take being outdoors for granted again. The first week had been absolutely miserable. The first couple of days, the pain sucked of course, but the arguing with Sadie over being what you considered "babied" caused more than a few arguments. Though she did put up a good argument that these were doctors' orders and that if you wanted to be up in the saddle again, you'd damn well better listen. So begrudgingly, you gave in.

The second week, you fared better. The doctor stopped by for a routine check-up, making sure everything was healing properly and no infection had set in. Thankfully, and in all honesty, luckily, everything was healing up fine. The doctor even encouraged you to start partaking in workouts. Doc claimed it was to "wake up your muscles" buy deep down you knew he was giving you an excuse to get out of the cabin and do something.

The third week finally roller around, and with that, so did the doctors final visit, baring any setbacks you'd be able to ride again. As you sat at the table waiting, you thought back to the strange dream you had, or was it a premonition? Whatever the case, it seemed so real. Lost in thought you didn't even hear the doctor and Sadie enter.

Doc Henry: How long has this been going on?

Sadie: ever since the operation, sometimes he snaps out almost instantly, and other times I swear I could ride to Canada and back and find him in the same place.

Doc Henry just hmmed before turning to Sadie.

Doc Henry: If you don't mind, I'd like to talk to him about this, and i feel he would be more receptive if it were just the two of us. He may worry about worrying you if he opens up.

Sadie simply nods and leaves the cabin. Doc Henry sets his medical bag down on the table and faces you. After a few moments, you snap out of your thoughts.

Y/N: Oh hey doc, I didn't hear you come in.

Doc chuckles

Doc Henry: I see that. You seemed miles away.

Y/N: Maybe.

Doc Henry: Want to talk about it? In a professional manner, of course, that way, I'm legally bound to keep my mouth shut.

You contemplate it for a few moments.

Y/N: You wouldn't believe if I told you.

Doc Henry: Try me.

You let out a sigh.

Y/N: The day of the operation when you put me under, I had a dream, but it felt like it was more than a dream. It was like I could reach out and grab things.

Doc Henry: What happened in your dream?

Y/N: There was this man dressed in a fancy suit with this top hat. He knee my name, my job, everything, but when I asked him who he was and how he knew all that, he told me it wasn't important. He offered me a contract saying that I could serve vengeance and justice in the physical world as well as the spiritual world. He said I would be "the rider." I asked if I could have time to think it over, and he told me not to think too long.

Doc Henry: Have you had this dream since?

Y/N: No, well, not that exactly dream, but once in a while, he'll show up and look at his pocket watch and tell me times ticking.

Doc Henry: Well, I can't tell you what that all means, but I can tell you it's not unusual for people to have these dreams when they're put under. It could also be that this dream has affected you more than you care to admit, and constantly replaying it in your mind would explain why you keep seeing this strange man.