The Ambush

The next morning, you wake up before Sadie, being careful not to disturb her. You shuffle out of bed, getting dressed, and you make your way to the kitchen to heat the stove. While the stoves heating, you make your way out to the stable and bring the horses to the front of the house before going about getting the saddled and prepared for the days journey.

Once you're finished, you enter the house and whip up a quick breakfast consisting of bacon eggs and coffee. You hear shuffling behind you, turning you notice Sadie leaning against the door frame watching you.

Sadie: A girl could get used to this.

Y/N: Don't say that until you taste it.

Sadie walks up to you, wrapping her arms around you she gives you a quick kiss.

Sadie: I'm sure it's fine honey.

Y/N: You're a brave woman, Sadie Adler not many folk would risk my breakfasts.

Sadie: Well, you have poisoned yourself yet, so that's a good sign right?

Y/N: well to be fair, I normally don't eat breakfast. I usually just have a big lunch and supper.

Sadie: Well, that's something we'll have to remedy.

Y/N: that's one thing about this line of work, we don't always have time for meals.

You sit at the table with Sadie and you both start eating.

Sadie: Well I'm a few bites in and I ain't keeled over so I'd say you did good.

Y/N: you also ain't finished yet.

Sadie chuckled

Sadie: so what time are we riding out ?

Y/N: as soon as we're done eating.

Sadie: how much further to Blackthorn ?

Y/N: it's about 3 hours from here, we'll be there around noon.

Sadie: so anything I should know about the place?

Y/N: not really it your typical small middle of nowhere town.

Sadie: with typical small town problems ?

Y/N: pretty much, that is assuming the O'Driscolls and Lemoyne Raiders haven't made their way down here.

Sadie: I though the Lemoyne Raiders were strictly a Lemoyne issue?

Y/N: oh make no mistake they still are. However, Blackthorn supported the Confederacy during the war, thankfully most if not all of that support is gone and people just want to live their lives. That being said supposedly the Raiders headed this way with the O'Driscolls to set up support networks because their main areas of operation are cracking down on them.

Sadie: makes sense, so how are we going to do this ?

Y/N: well nothing is set in stone yet but I figure once we get there we meet with Pat and J.D. then round up what ever we can for a small militia, I'll take half and you take the other half and we'll conduct a sweep and see what we come up with.

Sadie: and if one of us finds them?

Y/N: Send a runner to alert the other and they'll head towards the others location.

Sadie: seems dangerous to split up don't you think?

Y/N: it could be but I'd prefer to get this done as quick as possible.

Sadie: well I guess we'll see what the others have to say and go from there.

You just nod, you both finish your breakfast and do I final check to make sure nothing is forgotten. Once your check is complete you both head out side, mount up and start riding away.