Chapter 37

Jason P.O.V.

Michael has got to be kidding me. Why did he have to call me in so early in the morning without any explanation except saying that I should go to the address he gave me which lead me to some abandoned building? Here I am now, druggies and homeless people just all over the streets. I let out a big yawn as I stare at my phone and wait for further instructions. Damn, I'm sleepy. I swear, Christine better be eating right now. But I won't blame her if she sleeps in. That mall trip took out a lot of us.

The door to the building opens and I recognize the guys who open it and one of the grunts in the group. I walk past them, share a small greeting with them, and go towards the basement. With each step I take, I can hear the sounds of something solid hitting flesh and some grunts. Sure enough, I see a bloody mess of bodies at one corner and a guy strapped onto a chair taking a beating from Michael.

I wait for Michael to finish punching the guy before he turns to look at me, finally noticing me, and put on his sickening smile. "You got some blood on you." I don't want to add that he has splashes of blood everywhere on him, ruining his clothes and making his smile look even more sinister.

When Michael backed away from the strapped guy, another lackey came in and started beating the guy again. The room is dim with a single light bulb being the only source of light and you could hardly see, much less identify, the bloody mess Michael had done on those bodies, especially the one that's currently strapped onto the chair, but the memory of those shoes and the wristwatch is still fresh in my mind as the shoes are stained with the blood of the owner and the wristwatch lying on the ground next to severed fingers.

When Michael messaged me to come here, I even had to skip out on eating anything, much less drinking coffee. With the sight before me, man, I'm hungry for a steak right about now and a nice cup of black coffee.

Michael finally manages to clean himself enough where there isn't that much blood on him, except for his blood-stained clothes, but let's just not mind that. "So what do you want to see me for?"

Michael starts walking up the stairs and out of the building as I follow close behind him. We're at the back of the house when he pulls out a flask of alcohol and swigs it back. Michael agreed with himself that he would take a shot of alcohol if he was in the mood to smoke cigarettes. I know he quit smoking a long time ago but he said himself that he should take one health killer than both at the same time. I mean I still do both of those things but not nearly half enough as to how Michael does his, and ever since I started living with Christine, I didn't delve into alcohol or cigarettes all that much compared to before.

"You're aware of the events of today, right Jason?" Michael said as he stared absentmindedly into the air. I give a nod to his question. "Other than being a bodyguard, you can go chauffer Christine as well to the target location. Take my Mercedes GT Coupe." Michael threw me his keys before he could finish his sentence.

"Wait, really?" I'm clenching his keys as I stare at him wide-eyed. "Even with the big accident, I did on one of your Fords years ago?"

"Sure, why not?" Michael takes another swig again. "I'm in a pretty good mood if I do say so myself. And you've been an okay bodyguard for Christine for a while." Michael turns to look at me. "If you don't want it then give the keys back."

I booked it before Michael could even finish his sentence. No way in hell am I losing this opportunity. I mean it's troublesome to be going to Michael's place, get the car, and come back to a neighborhood like Christine's, but no way am I passing this baby up. I think I'll stop by a fast food joint on my way home and get something for me and Christine and Kathleen.

Christine P.O.V.

I can't believe Kathleen barged into my apartment at 8 in the morning. I'm still not even fully awake as I let Kathleen do whatever beauty regimen to me. Here I am now, stuck on the couch, beauty masks and lotions immobilizing my body. The only movement I could get away with is just stroking Hunter's very smooth and fragrant fur.