Chapter 9

Christine P.O.V.

I never would have guessed that I would actually have a father-daughter moment like today. I did grow up with my mother so I don't know the difference between the love of a mother and father. But now, I've grasped a little of the meaning of a father's love.

He had clenched on my mother's ring then he slowly let it go. He reached for my hand and placed the necklace in the palm of my hand. I looked at him confusingly and he only responded with a small smile forming on his lips.

He got up, walked straight to a bookshelf, and moved it aside to reveal a door. I was surprised, I thought only those doors exist in movies. He unlocked the door and went in. I waited outside but I still looked at him from outside the room.

I could see him reach up to a sort of black briefcase from up top of a shelf. He dusted the briefcase of with a blow and looked back at me. He had a small smile on his face.

He walked out of the room, locked the door, slid the bookshelf back into place, and presented me with the black briefcase. I didn't know what he was doing so I just accepted it.

"You'd better get back to Jason. He's not known to wait for people patiently." He pointed to the black briefcase in my hands. "He'll bring you to a place that'll be helpful to you, only then, can you open the case."

He went to the only exit of the room and opened the door. "You'll find him downstairs at the lounge."

I was staring at him, confused, but I did what he told me to and walked out the door. I didn't look back until the door closed. I went on walking to the stairs. I didn't immediately go to the first floor where Victor showed me, instead, I stopped at the 2nd floor to rest for a bit. I went and hid behind one of the turning points of the hallway and took a sit.

Everything that happened in the office was quite a shocker to me. I was resting for a bit, replaying all that's happened until now. It was until a lively voice yelled for me from above.

"There you are! You know, we've been looking for you for a while now." Michael said as soon as he saw me. He was smiling like he always does as nothing happened. I was about to explain all that happened inside the office but he gave me a vest-like thing. "Here you go."

"Um..." I said, confused about what is laying in my hands. "What this?"

"You wear it," Jason said. He suddenly appeared behind Michael. I looked to where his right hand was placed on a gun holster on his belt. "You'll need it. Seeing as you're still fresh to this kind of thing."

"Don't take it seriously, Richard." Michael had seemed to see right through me. I was literally panicking. "It's only for practice and safety."

"What?" I repeated, not quite sure where this is going.

"Didn't the boss give you something at his office?" Jason said, annoyed that I was clueless. He pointed over to the black case beside me. "Do you even know what's inside?"

Now that he's mentioned it, I don't know what was inside the case. I picked up the case and opened it. Inside the case is a small handgun. I almost let go of the case when Michael steadied me.

"Huh, a Colt M1911A1, one of the lightest and easiest handguns there is," Jason said, looking at the gun then at me and back to the gun. "It'll suit you more than the other guns we have here."

"Underneath the building is a basement designed to be a shooting range for the members here and that's also where you'll be going next." He talked to me calmly. "You should consider yourself lucky. Jason is the best here at shooting."

I'm starting to figure out what's he's trying to tell me. Everything is quickly coming to me. Suffocating me with every surprise it gives to me. Not only that I've been holding a gun all this time, discovering that there was an underground shooting range, and have been given one of the most impossible things of my life. I have to study from Jason, worst of all, at gun shooting.