41

Flau'jae Johnson
____

"Focus, focus, focus" Coach Mulkey yelled at the top of her lungs, "Oh my gosh, what are you doing?"

I glanced at her from the corner of my eye seeing her throw her hands up. She be on the sidelines going dumb.

She split the team in half and now we're playing against each other. Out of all days, she chose to put me and Angel on the same team.

It's been two weeks since the break up and we haven't told nobody. I know everybody around us can tell something is off, they just won't say nothing.

I've been doing bad in practice and it's absurd. I look like a lost puppy on the court.

I just don't have the mental capacity to perfect my craft right now. I'm completely thrown off and overwhelmed by the break up.

I'm trying to adjust, but it's hard.

I watched waiting for Angel's next move as she held the ball. She passed the ball to me with a lot of force before it hit my bottom lip.

"Fuck" I semi yelled before touching my lip and seeing a little blood

I walked off the court while everybody continued to play. It's obvious I'm carrying a black cloud over my head.

I made my way to the bathroom and looked at my lip. It's not bleeding that much, but it hurt like hell. After two minutes of getting myself together, I went back in.

"Y'all keep going" Coach Mulkey yelled to everybody as she approached me, "I'm making you leave early because you're in a whole other world"

"No I'm good coach, I got it ju —" she put her finger up meaning be quiet and I did just that

"You haven't been playing how I know you can. You are so much better than that. If it's something wrong let me know and we can figure it out"

"I'm okay coach, it's nothing wrong I just been having bad luck" I said before she raised a eyebrow at me

"Well understand that your bad luck is getting ready to have you benched. Go home" she walked away before I turned around and left out

Normally hearing news like that would piss me off, but I feel nothing. Not saying that I don't care, I just feel numb.

I left and went home to finish packing my clothes. I'm going back to Georgia for the weekend to see my family.

My flight leaves later on tonight and I only packed a pair of shorts. Packing will always be something I wait to do at the last minute.

I quickly threw anything in my suitcase and finished in twenty minutes. That's definitely the quickest I've ever packed.

Even though I got a lot of work to do, I laid down and tried going to sleep. Once I realized I wasn't gone go to sleep I started scrolling on my phone.

The internet is so unserious, just being on it makes me lose brain cells. I got a random text from a unfamiliar number, which caused me to go to my messages.

Normally, I wouldn't text back but today I did. After exchanging a few messages, I found out it was my ex. I started asking her questions about the night of the party.

How did she even get my number?

Come to find out, we didn't fuck but apparently I was all over her. She said I couldn't keep my hands off her, but that shit wasn't genuine.

I was drunk, I was out of my mind body. I'm not making any excuses for that night because I stepped out of character.

As I was texting her I got a incoming call from Nyla, which caused me to forget about what I was doing.

I answered seeing her in the camera posing causing me to shake my head and chuckle.

"All you do is pose, you stay picture ready" I said before she hummed agreeing

"Stay ready so you ain't never gotta get ready, period" she said being serious, "Why you ain't at practice?"

"I got sent home early"

"What the fuck happened now?" she asked before I laughed a little

"Coach said I'm in a whole different world, like I'm just not in my bag"

"I need you to shake back, damn. How you been feeling?" I rolled my eyes at the question because lately I've been hating it

"The fucking same"

"I feel like you thinking too much, you gotta get out your head. Let's go get something to eat"

For the last two weeks, Nyla been my shoulder to cry on. She real attentive and is a good ear, she's been my company.

We been spending a lot of time talking even if it's not me venting. I like her personality and her aura is definitely there.

"We can go eat, I'll come get you"

I left making my way over to her after driving for a short amount of time. We sat there debating on what we wanted to eat before deciding on Hibachi.

We sat and watched our food be made, you have to have special skills to do this job. I personally could never

"This ain't finna be nothing but leftovers" I said while looking at all the food on my plate

"It really is cause this a lot" Nyla said as she poured yum yum sauce on her rice, "But what time your flight leave?"

"I gotta be to the airport at ten"

"Oh, you got some time to chill" she said before I nodded my head while putting a spoonful of food in my mouth

"You coming back home with me?" I asked after swallowing my food

"Yeah I'll come"

We continued talking and laughing before leaving when we finished. All that rice got my itis kicking my ass.

"You going to sleep then gone be asking me what's going on in the movie" Nyla said as I laid on her drifting off to sleep

"I'm up" I mumbled while closing my eyes completely

"No get up" she popped my forehead before I looked up at her, "Stay up"

"You must wanna fight the way you slapping my forehead"

"Oh we definitely can fight" she said before I got up off her and stood up

I squared up before she started laughing while getting up. She swung before I caught her hit and picked her up throwing her on the bed.

"Now get back up" I said while laughing before she shook head no, "Cause you know I get in the field for real"

I got back in the bed and laid down as she just stared at me. We was just staring at each other for a few seconds.

"You see something you want?" I asked causing her to suck her teeth and smile

"Kind of"

"I'm not finna play with you" I said and we both started laughing before she laid down on me, "Now I'm going to sleep, so wake me up at nine"

I immediately went to sleep not even caring about the movie. I'm trying to rest before my flight because I don't wanna be tired checking into the airport.

Hours went by before I got woken up out my sleep. I definitely fought to get up but I'm up. We left collected our stuff and left heading to her house.

"I'll see you when you get back, drive safe" Nyla said while opening the passenger door

"Ima call you as soon as I land, alright?" I said before she turned and looked at me

"Alright" she said before it got quiet and our lips eventually clashed together

"Goodnight, Nyla B" I said before she got out and closed the door before I sighed loud