10. If only you could give me a chance

Shit! Today was tiring. Dhiraj finally was home after a tiring day. Rather he was looking forward to it. Things have a bit....different with his mate. It wasn't anything unusual, just some little things that changed.

For example, Dhiraj could feel his mate's eyes all over him, but once their eyes met he would look away, leaving behind a blush of red all across his neck. Dhiraj loveddddd that reaction. He could also sense that Nakul was starting to build a level of comfort around him. He would try to initiate small talks and Dhiraj absolutely loved it when Nakul would hit him with a, "How was your day?" when he got home. Rather, Dhiraj looked forward to it. That was the highlight of his day. A reward for working hard all day!!

And that day too, he was waiting for Nakul to ask him that same mundane question. But surprisingly, Nakul was nowhere to be seen. Dhiraj felt uneasy. A maid was passing by and Dhiraj stopped the middle aged woman. "Where is Nakul?" Dhiraj enquired.

"He's in the kitchen. I offered to cook whatever he wanted but he denied any form of help. He also told no one to come in" replied the housekeeper with a concerned look in her eyes. Her master had given her clear instructions not to let Nakul even lift a finger to do any form of work.

Dhiraj dismissed her but the question of why Nakul suddenly wants to cook wouldn't leave his mind. So once he freshened up. He headed towards the kitchen. Once he entered it, his mouth was left open. What he saw was......a mess. Egg shells all across the counter along with multiple slices of different veggies, some thin others thicker. But one thing that was clear was that Nakul...had no idea of what he was doing. And Dhiraj exactly questioned him with that.

"What...are you doing?"

Nakul nearly jumped at that. He had no idea when Dhiraj entered the kitchen. And suddenly he felt a tremendous amount of shame. His mind registered the state of the kitchen. The kitchen that belonged to the man in front of him. He had no idea how he should explain to the alpha about the mess he had created.

"I.....I wanted to try some things." He hesitantly answered.

Dhiraj picked up on the nervousness. His motive to ask Nakul wasn't: Why have you created such a mess? It was more on the grounds of: Why did he feel the need to do this work? He hoped Nakul wasn't feeling the need to contribute something for staying at the alpha's place.

"Yeah. And that is great. But....I just wanted to know....that...you are not doing this...out a need to....contribute in some way for...you know...for staying here..?!" Dhiraj wasn't sure how he should put forth his concern. But thankfully, that wasn't even the remotest thought that Nakul had. He just simply wanted to do something for Dhiraj.

"No?!" Nakul dismissed that question with his tone, "I wasn't doing it because of that." He clarified his side as he got back to the task of cutting the veggies.

Dhiraj was relieved. So he took a step forward, unconsciously wanting to shorten the space in between them. He took a closer look at the kitchen counter. The ingredients suggested that Nakul was trying to make a sandwich. But he was cutting far to more veggies than needed. It was as if he was trying to cook for the whole household. Soon the alpha's eyes fell on another mess. It was the half cooked - Half burnt omelets. Pile of it. That sight only confused Dhiraj more. He couldn't hold himself back any longer.

"So then, why are you doing this?" He questioned.

Nakul paused his cutting. It wasn't because he didn't have an answer. Rather because he did, but he wasn't sure if he should voice his answer.

"Hmmm?" Dhiraj pressed on more, taking a step closer to his mate.

Nakul could feel Dhiraj towering behind him. He could feel Dhiraj's hot breath as it hit his ears. His voice as it vibrated through his brain. The scent of his bodywash. The warmth of his skin as he was fresh out of a shower. Nakul could feel it all. Suddenly his body felt breathless, as if he was being hypnotized by an unknown force.