❥7 | home towns

☆dreams pov☆

TW:
mentions of sex

We sat in the rickety pull out stands in the local leisure centre me and Sapnap discovered on our way back from breakfast, to get some exercise in. The familiar whiffs of sweat and industrial cleaner filled the air. All sounds, as in the quiet sounds of shoes scuffing and creaks of doors, were distorted, the strange echo forming the equivalent audio to a shower curtain.

I love gyms like this, I grew up in them. I spent many of my happiest moments in similar airless confines with a basketball in my hand, usually this is mine and Nicks "brother talk" but from his lack of maturity I would count him as my son.

I love the sound of dribbling. I love the sheen of sweat that starts popping up on my faces during warmups. I love the feel of peberly leather on your fingertips; that moment of nonreligious purity when your eyes lock on the front of the rim and you release the all and it backspins and there is nothing else in the entire world.

I took two steps forward, my arms feelings back and my knees slightly bent, and I released. Sapnap desperately jumped in front of me despite of the large height disadvantage he had.

I was 6'2 so I was the average height of the other people I play against, well I only play against some friends in my spare time. Sapnap on the other hand is 5'10 and was the height of my shoulder, possibly my throat if you count that silly cap he always had glued to his head.

The ball circled the rim for a long few seconds before finally plodding itself in.

"I give up!" Sapnap shouted, shaking his head and walking off to the empty bleachers,

I smiled victoriously and followed him too, picking up the basketball on my way out.

"loser!" I shouted back.

This certain basketball meant so much to me, all my band signed it for me a few years back after I broke my arm in a fall off the bleachers. My eyes trailed down to the rough skin of it and towards the jet black ink printed in it.

Everyone wrote their name, apart from foolish who mistaken it as a place for autographs, he wrote his signature like I was some fan. There was a few little drawings of stars and spirals Karl added in a dark green colour of sharpie. Then my eyes led me to the bottom, I spun the ball so I could get a better look it.

In black letters the name fundy was printed, in that pretty cursive writing he had with a love heart on the end, the way he swooped his letters made him look like a old time poet, it was beautiful.

"you coming dream?" Sapnap shouted in the doorway, I hadn't realised that I had frozen still on the squeaky flooring.

I frowned down at the ball and continued walking, holding it down by my side as I strode.

"mhm sorry." I whispered, he heard it anyway due to the loud echo.

We walked into the locker room to wipe off the sweat and he kept glancing back at me like I was a curious child in a supermarket; I was being the opposite, my head hung low to the floor and I didn't speak apart from my twitching lip.

"you really need to bleach his name off or something" Sapnap murmured, wiping his forehead with a small ragged cloth from his gym bag.