Chapter 17

Carina woke to the door opening, "She awake Drakey?" Jessica's voice asked softly.

"Yeah, I'm awake," Carina said as she sat up. "Did I nap long?"

"Nah, just couple hours," Jess said as she walked over to the bed. "I did too, guess we needed it."

"I do feel a little better," Carina nodded as she got out of bed.

"Great, you getting hungry? Silas is firing up the grill while Marc and Luke are prepping the food."

"Sure, I can try," Carina said nervously.

"You'll be fine," Jess said as she walked over to the French doors. "Do you want me to go ahead and open these so you can have some fresh air coming in? It's level so you don't have to worry about steps when you and Drakon come out into the backyard."

"Sure," Carina said as she headed to the bathroom. Once she came back into the room, she frowned for a minute, "wait, so they could come into the room anytime they wanted when they are in the backyard?"

Jess chuckled and shook her head even though she knew Carina couldn't see it. "Nah. Well," she sighed, "they could but they won't. They also installed a lock on the inside so you could lock it in reassurance."

"Didn't you say one of them could pick locks though?" Carina asked as she stepped out into the backyard with Drakon at her side.

"Oh yeah, I'm the best at it," Luke said proudly.

"But he won't touch your locks," Jessica said sternly while glaring at him.

"Oh yep," he said popping the p, "nope that's a hard no for me. I'd never do that unless it was absolutely necessary. I promise I won't touch the locks on your doors, Cupcake."

"Okay..." she trailed off as she lifted her head to the sky feeling the warmth of the sun on her face. She patted Drakon's head, "go play Drakon, I'm just going to sit here for a bit." She listened to him run around with Max barking and Jess laughing.

"They are chasing Luke around the yard," Jess said once she could catch her breath. "Right now they have him pinned up in a tree."

"That's funny," Carina said as she stretched out her legs and leaned back a little.

Hearing multiple beeps Jess huffed in annoyance, "three, two, one..." she whispered making Carina wonder what was about to happen.

"Time for your medicine Girls," Sean called out as he started to walk over to them.

"Time for your medicine as well Doc," Kota said as he followed Sean. "You too North. Sit down with the Girls while we make your plates. Dr. Roberts said you have to eat with it."

"I know," North grunted as he flipped the burgers on the grill. "Just waiting on—"

"Go, I got this," Marc said as he walked up to North and took the metal spatula from him. "Go make your plate so you can take your meds."

"Make sure ours isn't—" Jess started to yell.

"I know, I know," Marc waved the air, "no pink at all."

"Care wants it the same way."

"Yes Ma'am," Marc smirked as he flipped some burgers.

"While he's making sure they are perfect, what would you like on your burger Angelos Mou?" Silas asked as he walked over to them.

"BBQ sauce, cheese, lettuce, and pickles only please," Carina replied in a questioning tone.

"You got it," Silas nodded before looking at Jess, "I already know what you like."

"Thank you, Si," Jess smiled making sure the guys weren't listening before she leaned over and nudged Carina's shoulder carefully, "see told you."

"Hush," Carina rolled her eyes.

"Do I want to know?" Nathan asked as he approached them with their plates.

"No," the girls said at the same time.

"Okay, now I get why you say it's weird when we do that," Nathan chuckled as he handed Jess her plate. Carina held out her hands and Nathan placed her plate in them. "Brandon wants to know what you would like to drink."

"Apple juice?" Carina asked hopefully.

"Oh, that sounds great," Jess' eyes lit up, "I want that too."

"Kay, I'll let him know."

"When you are done eating do you want to try the hammock?" Jess asked as they ate.

"A hammock?" Carina asked as she thought about it. "I don't know, it might throw my balance way off."

"Okay," Jess said, "just thought I'd mention it. I know you aren't ready to try the pool yet."

"Yeah no," Carina shook her head.

"Can I ask why?" Silas asked as he walked over to them.

"Drop it Si," Jess said glaring at him.

"I just don't have a good experience with water," Carina said turning her head away from him.

"Okay," Silas nodded. "Well, we love the pool so if you ever want to try to have a good experience, we will gladly help you."

"Okay," she whispered. "Maybe."