Chapter 20

"What you making?" Raven asked as he walked into the kitchen later that afternoon.

"Um," she bit her bottom lip nervously. "I was just making a marinate for the chicken," she opened a cabinet and ran her fingers across the braille. "Would it be okay if we grill tonight? It felt really nice outside earlier."

"Sure," Marc said as he entered the kitchen. "I'll have North start setting it up, that's a great idea, Beautiful," he watched her feel the braille on multiple seasonings. "Are you looking for a certain seasoning?"

"White ground pepper?" She asked as she felt another bottle.

"Oh, we out," Raven answered, "I use last day before. I go get more."

"No, that's okay," she shook her head. "I'll use regular pepper instead."

He cupped her chin and pushed a strand out of her face, "Kitten want it, I go get it. No argue."

"It's really okay, Yevgeny," she shook her head.

"I be back soon," Raven chuckled as he released her chin. "Anything else?"

"It's fine, really," she tried to protest.

"I go. Corey cartoon release new season, I go get for him."

Carina turned back to the cabinet and pulled out the black pepper container. Raven took it out of her hand and put it back. "There's no use protesting, Beautiful," Marc chuckled. "Rave is one of the most stubborn out of us."

Carina sighed and began washing her hands, "thank you, Yevgeny."

"Welcome, Kotenok," he chuckled. "Anything else?"

"No," she shook her head. Drakon softly barked then she heard the tapping of his nails as he went toward the door leading outside. "Okay, I'm coming, Drakey."

"Be back soon, Kotenok," Raven said as she walked toward the backdoor.

"Okay even though it really is okay," she said as she slid open the glass sliding door.

"Hey Babygirl, the puppy want out?" North asked taking a step to the side so she didn't bump into him.

"Yes," she said while raising her hand.

"I'm right here," he said while touching her elbow. "Do you want to come out here?"

"I guess," she sighed. "I was going to marinate some chicken but Yevgeny is being stubborn."

"What else is new?" North chuckled. "What is he doing now?"

"We ran out of a seasoning she was looking for and he said he was going to go get it," Marc explained as he came up behind her. "She tried telling him that it was okay but you know how he is."

"You didn't have to do that, Babygirl, it's my night to cook dinner," North smiled.

"I was...um...," she twisted the bottom of her shirt nervously.

"What?" he looked at her curiously.

"Go ahead, Beautiful," Marc encouraged.

"I um," she cleared her throat and turned toward North a little more, "I asked Marc if we could maybe um...grill tonight since it feels so nice out and he said he would ask you to start it but if you want to do something else that's okay," she said quickly as she grabbed her shirt tighter.

"That sounds perfect, Baby," North smiled. "Go finish prepping the chicken, there's even some Eckridge sausage I can put on the grill and I'll call Raven to pick up some hamburger meat also."

"If he grabs the preshaped ones, I can season them," she offered.

"Perfect," North and Marc said at the same time, making her smile.

"Si, come help me," North called out as she headed back into the kitchen. "Babygirl had the great idea of grilling for dinner."

"Fuck yes!" Gabe shouted while whooped in happiness.

"Do you want to bake some fries or air fry?" Axel asked as he came into the kitchen.

"I can't operate an air fryer," she shook her head.

"Then you handle the meat and I'll use the air fryer," Axel said, "I'll be right back I need to grab a hair tie."

"Can I braid it?" She asked nervously. "Oh wait, that's only for loved ones and special ones in your culture, I'm sorry."

Axel chuckled as he grabbed her hands, "I would be honored if you braided my hair, Doll. Please?"

He smiled when a huge smile broke out on her face. "Okay, if you're sure," she whispered. "I don't want to disrespect–"

"You could never, I promise," he interrupted, placing his finger over her mouth, silencing her nerves. "Come on, I'll sit so it's easier on you after I get my brush and a hair tie." She nodded and a minute later she heard him come back into the dining room. He sat down and she started brushing his long black hair.

"French braid or just from the neck down?" she asked nervously.

"Either one is fine with me, Doll," Axel smirked. "Do you braid your own hair? I've only seen it down or Gabe playing with it."

She heard a few men walk in but she didn't pay attention to them. "I know how to French braid and do the mermaid braid or just the regular one. I can do it on other people but I can't do my own hair besides a basic braid. Even when I could see I could only braid from the neck down. I used to go to cosmetology school and that's how I know how to French braid and do the mermaid braid."

"Well, you are more than welcome to play with my hair anytime you want," Axel smiled. "I mean it, I am honored for you to braid my hair."

"There," she said nervously as she wrapped the hair tie around the bottom of the French braid. "It's not that good but–"

"It's perfect, Doll," he said as he turned around and pulled her onto his lap. He hugged her then placed a soft kiss on her forehead, "Thank you, Doll."

"Thank you for letting me," she whispered.

"Come on, let's get started on making dinner," he said knowing she would be getting uncomfortable and nervous soon.

"Okay," she said as she stood.

Axel looked at Gabe, Luke, Nathan, and Marc who was leaning against the wall listening to their conversation. They slipped back outside and Axel pulled out the multiple air fryers.

Raven came back a short time later, "Here, Kotenok, white ground pepper," he said, pulling a container out of the bag in his hand. "I have Gabe make sticker later."

She smiled as she felt him place it in her hand, "thank you, Yevgeny."

He sat and watched as she worked in the kitchen needing very little help. Once she was done prepping the meat, she went outside and sat in the hammock.

"Wow, thanks Raven," Corey smiled as Raven handed him the latest season box set to one of his animes that he watched. Carina smiled softly when she heard Corey give Raven a kiss. Drakon plopped down under the hammock and huffed in exhaustion. She listened to everyone talking and she thought briefly that she could get used to this.