Ch.33 - Down the rabbit hole

'Why did I do that...?'

Izuku was currently nursing a bottle of water that he retrieved from the training room fridge. It was nice and cooling against his still-heated skin, but it did little to calm him down.

'Of all the things I could've tried, why did I pull myself towards her?'

The boy couldn't make sense of his actions when sparring with Ryuko.

He had plenty of time to think it over while Ryuko was spinning him around. Even if he was still tired, he should've been able to think of what Ryuko suggested—firing off a shockwave or using more black-whips—but those didn't occur to him.

Part of Izuku knew why he did what he did... trying to get himself closer to Ryuko... trying to be in her embrace.

But he didn't want to acknowledge it.

He didn't want to be that simple and pathetic.

'Now, because I can't help myself, Ryuko's mad at me again...'

Suddenly, the boy heard footsteps coming from behind him. "Are you ok, Izuku?" Spoke Ryuko, now in her human form.

Deku nearly dropped the bottle in his hands. "Uh-um, yeah... Shouldn't I be asking you that?" He turned to her, still flustered.

She offered a sad smile. "I'm fine, Izuku... I'm sorry I yelled at you like that. It's just..."

Izuku waved one of his hands reassuringly. "No, It's ok, I get it! We need to stay undercover, so to speak..."

Awkwardness ensued in the silence between them as they debated whether or not to speak further on the subject and their... embarrassing positions moments before.

Soon though, Ryuko decided for them both. "I'm glad you understand, but still. I'll make it up to you someday."

The boy fretted again. "That's not necessary. Really!"

The dragoon hero smirked. "Oh~, I see how it is. You can make things up to me, but I can't do the same. Those are some interesting double standards there, Izuku."

The green intern broke out in a cold sweat. "W-Wait, that's not what- I-I mean-"

The blonde boss waved a hand. "Relax, I'm just messing with you again... but I do owe you a favour, whether you like it not...-"

Izuku raised a finger to object.

"-No buts." She replied flatly.

The boy's finger wilted in sad, tragic defeat. "...Ok.-"