Chapter 27: The Price to Pay

***A Tragic Turn***

"If you're lying," Vincent whispered, his voice filled with menace, "I'll kill you all."

Before he could finish his threat, a sharp crack filled the room. Vincent's face froze in shock, then crumpled to the floor with a bullet hole in the back of his head.

Isabella screamed, and the room descended into chaos.

One of Vincent's closest right-hand men stood with a smoking gun, his face expressionless as he continued to shoot, methodically taking down the rest of Vincent's bodyguards.

Alex's heart stopped in his chest, a cold shock spreading through him as he watched the horrifying scene unfold. The betrayal was as unexpected as it was brutal.

His mind raced, trying to make sense of what was happening, but all he could focus on was the need to protect Isabella.

As he began to race towards her, the shooter's eyes locked onto him, and he shouted,

"Stop right there!"

Alex froze, halfway to Isabella, his heart pounding in his chest. The gun was pointed directly at him, and the cold, merciless eyes of the attacker made it clear that he would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

The room was filled with tension so thick it could be cut with a knife, and Alex knew that one wrong move could be his last.

The gunman finally lowered his weapon, his eyes cold and hard.

"Vincent was nothing but an obstacle," he said, his voice chillingly calm.

"You knew, didn't you?" he finally said, his voice cold as he turned to Isabella, his gun still smoking.

"You recognised me."

Isabella's mind raced. This man, this murderer, had killed her husband and now Vincent. She had been too afraid to say anything, too terrified to reveal the truth, and now he had acted first.

"I... I saw you that night," Isabella stammered, tears streaming down her face.

"I saw you kill Roberto. But I didn't say anything. I didn't tell anyone."

"You were smart to stay quiet but not smart enough," the gunman sneered, his eyes filled with contempt.

"You could have just disappeared forever, Isabella. Now you're back, and I want what belongs to me-the money. You will tell me where it is."

He paced the room, his eyes wild with frustration.

"I'm not like Vincent, weak, all talk. I'm sick of working for him. Sadly, Roberto was my best boss, but he made a stupid choice to marry you. A fatal choice."