Part Fifty-Four: Tipping Point

Start from the beginning

"You're being reckless!" I yell.

Ghost jolts his head back over to me, still gripping my wrist tightly. A bruise will probably form.

"Me?" he asks baffled; and angry. "How am I being reckless?"

"You're being reckless with my feelings!" My yell develops into a scream which is mostly covered by the blaring bar music.

Ghost let's go of my wrist.

The entire table falls silent, their gaze not leaving me.

"You told Soap we're not serious?" I scoff, my heart breaking inside.

Tears start to well in my eyes, and my cheeks flush from the alcohol.

Ghost lets out a heavy sigh and then pleads, "Let's talk outside."

"No," I say firmly, not backing down. "The truth. Now."

Ghost remains silent.

"What did he say Soap? Word for word." My eyes don't leave Ghost's eyes.

"I don't think this is a good idea..." Soap's voice is strained, clearly uncomfortable with a situation he started.

"No, this is just fucking great," Ghost scoffs. "Go on, tell her, MacTavish. Since apparently, all you do is yap your big fucking mouth and try to sleep with her."

Things are getting heated now.

Soap scoffs and looks at Price and Laswell in disbelief. Price simply responds by shrugging his shoulders.

Soap gazes back at Ghost angrily. "Fine. Want the truth?" Soap yells. "Before we went to Chicago when we were at the base for a few days, I asked Ghost about your relationship."

"And?" I ask impatiently.

"And he told me that it wasn't serious and even if it was it wouldn't matter because you're leaving," Soap sighs, his jaw clenching as he sees a tear run down my cheek. "Ghost told me he planned on cutting things off with you before you left, which is why I decided to shoot my shot with you."

I don't like this. I feel sick. He said he loved me.

I hate this fucking game we play. One moment we're in love, the next we aren't, then we are again...

"Is that true?" I look back at Ghost.

"Yes," he deadpans, searing my soul with his cold eyes.

I hear an exasperated sigh leave Price's lips as he shakes his head and covers his face with his hand in frustration.

"You big, stupid, idiot!" I yell at Ghost. "So you fuck me, tell me you love me, and then pretend like it never happened?"

I jolt straight to my feet, towering over Ghost.

I yell so loud this time the entire bar turns to look over at us but I don't care who hears. I can see the rage in Ghost's eyes and the furrow in his brows. He's pissed...but so am I.

"This is bullshit," I laugh, baffled. "Whatever. I don't care!"

I definitely care.

I look for my bag to leave.