Chapter 2

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

*EDITED*

"Are you ok?" Spencer says.

I jump out of my daydream and look at him, "Yeah- yeah I'm fine." I say and look back towards the television.

"Becca?" I hear him say. "Yes?" I ask not looking back at him. "Are you sure you're ok?"

"Yes Spencer I'm fine, just- tired."

"Do you want me to take you home?" He asks sitting up.

"No it's fine. I want to finish the movie."

"Ok," he leans back down putting her arms around me. I lean my head on his shoulder and rest my eyes, quickly falling asleep.

~

"Hi Rebecca my name is Lori , and I'm going to be taking care of you until we find you a new home ok?" The lady sitting across from me at the table says.

"Ok." I mumble looking around the room the police had brought me to.

It was bright, but not too bright. The walls were painted a gray color and had a couple of windows with the blinds closed. "Rebecca can I ask you something?" The lady asks me.

I nod and continue looking around the room. "How long has your dad been mean to you?" I shrug. "Was it before or after your mom died?"

"After."

"Ok Rebecca, that's all I need to know. Want to go get some ice cream?" The lady says standing up. I smile, standing with her and follow her out of the room.

~

I wake up from my body shuffling around. "Oh sorry I didn't mean to wake you." I look up at Spencer who has holding me in his arms bridal style. "I thought you'd be more comfortable in the bed."

I smile and close my eyes, leaning back into his chest as he carries me into the bedroom and lays me on the bed, covering me up.

"Goodnight Becca." He whispers turning off the lights and leaving the room.

~

"Becca you need to wake up." I hear Spencer's voice as he gently shakes my arm. I open my eyes and roll over moaning, not wanting to get up. "Come on Bec, we have a case."

"No," I complain sitting up.

"We have to meet the team at the mall in 5 minutes Bec."

"Fine," I say getting up and out of the bed. "I don't have a change of clothes." I say brushing my hair and throwing it into a braid. Spencer comes up next to me, looking into the mirror fixing his tie. "Maybe no one will notice." He says.

"Ready?" He asks once he finishes with his tie. "Yup, let's go."

~

Spencer and I walk into the wall and make our way to the security room where the team was. "Another female, same age, same time of day, taken from essentially the same location." Hotch is saying as we walk inside.

"What makes you sure Katie Jacobs is still in the building?" Morgan asks.

"The mall's got cameras installed at every entrance and exit. Surveillance video confirms Katie entering the building, but no sign of her leaving." The head of security answers. "We paged her over the intercom, and their initial sweep came up empty."