I knew I should eat, but my stomach was no longer growling. The emptiness I felt there, made my emotions not seem so big. I laid out on the couch as I turned the TV on and went right to my all-time favorite movies. 

My comfort movies. 

The movies that made me forget who I am and remind me of who I was.

"Speed. I am speed."

The all too familiar voice of Owen Wilson.

Fresh tears fell on my face as the movie began and I comfortably laid on the couch. I felt my body finally relax and my eyes began to drop. I didn't fight it. No. I let sleep take me away from my living nightmare.

****

"Carter! You in there?"

My eyes fluttered open and my head was pounding either from exhaustion, dehydration, or starvation. I don't know but each was a viable option.

The knocking didn't stop and as I sat up with a loud groan. My body was all too sore. I also had no clue what time it was or how long I had been asleep. All I knew was that it wasn't long enough.

I walked to the door and opened it and there stood my Aunt Danielle. She looked pissed, worried, and confused at the same time.

"What the fuck kid?" I sighed and stepped out of the way for her to come in and I closed the door behind her. "You got some explaining to do."

"No, I don't." I huffed as I laid back on the couch covering myself with the blanket. My throat scratched, had it been that long since I talked? Was that the reason it was so peaceful?

"You've been MIA for three fucking days. Yes, you do. I only know you're here because I recognized your truck."

Oh, so I had only been sleeping for a day? And I'm still exhausted? Damn...looks like it's going to take maybe a week to get back to my usual self. If I ever do. She crossed her arms and her hazel eyes stared deep into my soul. But I was used to it. And I didn't care.

"I'm a grown man. I do whatever the fuck I want." She growled lowly, getting pissed at my answers.

"Carter! You beat your brother, you punched a tree, you told your dads to fuck off--"

"First off. Sean isn't my fucking brother. Second off, Dieter and Crispin aren't my dads either." My words held nothing but malice as I stared back at Dani. Her face fell as the realization came crashing down on her. "Yeah, don't think I don't know that you knew." I sighed, feeling like crying again and getting pissed at myself for wanting to cry again.

"Crispin isn't my dad," I whispered to myself. I thought the more I said it, the less it would hurt. But I was wrong.

"He is. He is your dad Carter." She huffed out as she sat down on the opposite couch.

"I don't want to talk about it to you." I could see hurt flash through her eyes and I immediately regretted it. "I didn't mean--."

"I'm okay. Don't worry about me. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Yeah. Peachy." I offered a fake smile, ready for her to leave so I could turn my movie back on. "Don't tell them I'm here," I said quickly, realizing that if they knew they would come here and drag me back. Which would be my absolute worst nightmare. I don't want to be around them, I just can't. Especially my da--Crispin.

"Carter I--"

"Please. Don't. Please, just do this one thing for me?" A tear slipped from my eye as I lay there begging. Goddess, I was pathetic.