11

The infirmary was relatively quiet that evening. Nico shadowed Will as he did rounds, offering a second set of hands to get fresh bandages, scissors, gauze, and the occasional ginger ale to give Will and the patients shots of energy.

Nico also started sneaking Reeses Pieces to patients after helping clear their dinner trays. Will beamed with pride seeing the smiles the campers were giving Nico.

"You're a natural at this you know," Will beamed at Nico as he was passing him a clean towel to dry his hands after a quick procedure.

"Um, thanks," Nico blushed.

"Hey, it's just about midnight. Why don't you go lay down and I'll finish up here. You deserve a good night's rest."

"I'm not feeling particularly tired, Solace. King of darkness and all," he pursed his lips and shrugged.

"Fine, feel free to play Mythomagic or go sit and watch the moon, but I want you resting. I'll come find you before I head back to my cabin."

Nico dejectedly went back to the on call bed and laid down to watch the moon out the window. He closed his eyes just for a second, and was soon deep in a dream.

He was back in Tartarus, searching for the Doors of Death. He had just drank fire water to regain his strength, the burning coursing through his body, when suddenly the goddess of Misery was beside him.

"No one will ever love you, child of Hades. You are unworthy. Darkness and pain is your destiny."

The hopelessness and despair that shot through him burned worse than the fire water. He was sinking into darkness, deeper and deeper, lonelier and lonelier and completely helpless.

Then she disappeared and a whole group of drachanae descended upon him as he fell.

"We know your secrets. We know who you are," they hissed, surrounding him in a dance. "Hazel should not be above. You will pay for her life with your own."

Then they started attacking mid-air.

In agony, Nico plunged deeper into the darkness as the drachanae fell with him, tearing and slashing his body.

"Nico, wake up!"

Will was beside him. Tears were streaming down Nico's face.

"It's okay, you're safe, I'm here," Will instinctively jumped up onto the bed and pulled Nico up, wrapping him in his arms.

Nico sobbed into Will's chest.

"Tartartus," is all he could manage to get out.

Will knew Nico had journeyed to Tartarus and it was to Nico's credit that he made it out alive. Whatever happened there was not something Nico had shared with anyone. Will understood that that kind of trauma came with its own recovery plan, one that had a long time frame.

He gently rocked with Nico, not asking any questions. He rubbed his back and kissed the top of his head. Soon the sobs became less violent. Nico's breathing became more steady.

Nico slowly looked up at Will, and Will lowered his face to meet Nico's. Their mouths found each other's. Slowly, gently, they softly caressed lips. Nico tentatively bit Will's lower lip, then Will slowly explored the inside of Nico's mouth with his tongue, swirling the back of Nico's lips, around his tongue, and then reaching back deeper.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" Nico whispered between kisses. "Please?"

"Yes, I won't leave. I promise," Will whispered back. "You're no longer alone Nico. Wherever you are, I'll be there fighting by your side. I've got your back. We'll face the demons together."

Will hugged Nico tighter and once more plunged into his mouth. The deep connection made Nico very aware of the core of his being. No longer was he Nico, he was now part of Will, and Will part of him. It was comforting on a level that previously Nico never would have believed possible.

Time stopped mattering. Nico's whole universe became Will. Will's soft touch. His strong chest. His heady scent. His needy tongue.

The two sank down onto the bed and got under the blankets. After what could have been hours, or maybe minutes, when they started to fall asleep, Nico held onto Will, afraid to let go. He nuzzled into Will's chest, deeply inhaling his scent, and fell into a dreamless sleep safely wrapped in Will's arms.