7

As the two boys were leaving the Hades cabin, Nico was suddenly filled with dread. Will had returned his feelings behind closed doors, but would it be weird now that they were back out in public? Would he acknowledge that they were together? Was it too soon to even be thinking these thoughts?

Just then Will reached over and grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Okay, two short squeezes is the signal to release the dog whistle," he did two more short squeezes to demonstrate. "If anyone gets too close, that's how you can let me know."

"Why two? Why not one or three?"

"Seriously? Do you not know hand-holding code?" Will looked at him aghast. "Is this not something they teach you in the underworld?"

"I guess not."

"One squeeze means I'm here for you. Like I just gave you. One long squeeze could also mean I'm here for you, but if it gets really long it might mean I'm scared, or I'm trying to drag you someplace you don't want to go, or we're in a lot of trouble."

"And three?"

"I love you." Will's eyes twinkled.

"Oh," Nico stumbled.

"It means I love you," Will clarified. "One, two, three squeezes," Will demonstrated again, this time with three, while giving Nico a soft kiss on his cheek. "So you see why two quick squeezes is going to mean bring out the dog whistle."

"Oh," Nico said again. "Got it, all clear," he nodded. Then Will surprised him by pulling him in close so they were chest to chest. Wrapping his other hand behind Nico's back and pulling him in for a real kiss. Then he released him and they started walking toward the Apollo cabin, still hand in hand.

Nico struggled briefly internally. On the one hand, he was happy that Will wanted to hold his hand in public. On the other hand, Nico realized that he was scared about others finding out about them. Yes, Jason had been supportive, but he was just one person. Would everyone be like that? Nico didn't know any other male-male couples.

"Are you hungry at all? I just realized you haven't eaten since our 5 star dining last night." Will broke through Nico's thoughts. "What kind of healer am I?"

"I really haven't had food on my mind," Nico responded truthfully.

"Let's stop by the strawberry fields on our way over. Then at least I'll know you've had something healthy today."

At this point they were outside the Apollo cabin. "Do you want to come in babes?"

This time Nico's ears reddened to match the blush on his face. "Will, I am not a baby. And no, I'll wait out here," he grumbled.

"K, I'll be right back."

Will was gone in a flash and Nico realized this is where he had been standing just yesterday. This is where it started. Or did it start when he had arrived back at the camp three days ago and stumbled across Will, Lou Ellen, and Cecil scouting out the Romans? That had been quite the day. According to Lou Ellen, it had started for Will forever ago. Nico wished he could go back in time and regain all the months lost, but you can only live your life forward. He made a mental note to do his best to make up for lost time. And another note that at least Lou Ellen had been supportive of Will's feelings.

"Shirt, sweats, and extra flip flops," Will came back holding up the fresh outfit. "Let's head."

He placed the goods under his right arm and grabbed Nico's hand with his left. Then one of his siblings, Kayla, stuck her head out the door and said, "Will, do you want me to take your shift tonight? You look beat."

"Aw, thanks Kayla, but no worries, I've got it. You deserve a break."

"Okay, maybe tomorrow then," she said as she closed the door.

As the two walked toward the strawberry fields together they could see the lake shimmering in the distance. "It would be a beautiful day for a canoe ride," Will said. "But I've got rounds and you still need more rest." He squeezed Nico's hand.

"Rest is good," Nico nodded. He tried out giving Will a squeeze back.

"Another day then," Will smiled.

Nico smiled inwardly. The feeling of having someone care about you, and only you, more than anyone else, and want to spend time with just you in the future was unlike anything he had ever experienced. How was it possible he had found someone like him, who was as amazing as Will, who returned his affection? Was he dreaming? No, his dreams were always nightmares. Which proved that this must be happening in real life. He pinched his leg just to be sure. Ouch! Yep, definitely awake.