Chapter 11- New Home

Fire Spirit made himself at home in the forest.

Too at home, actually.

He treats the place like he owns it, doing whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Which is absolutely horrid because since the incident, he had been playing along with the fact that he is indeed Wind Archer's boyfriend and they are "in loveeee~~" and making kissing noises whenever they're being watched.

Wind Archer threatens him, of course, but that can't stop him.

All that aside, Fire Spirit is more often here than anywhere else. He goes back to the valley sometimes, either when it's raining or he has gotten cold. But most of the time, he just hangs out in the forest now.

The churro villagers even made Fire Spirit a cozy little hut of his own so he can stay during the night. They built it right under Wind Archer's tree house because... you know. Hell, they even gave him a mini fireplace so it'd be nice and warm for him when it was winter.

Anyhoo (hoo), everyone seemed to enjoy Fire Spirit's company. Everyone except for Wind Archer, of course. Well, maybe a little.

But he still didn't appreciate him living in the forest. HIS forest. The forest where he was born, and took years of pain, suffering, and misery to protect it. He gained respect and was even worshiped for a while, partly because he's the offspring of the Tree and Sugar Swan, but mostly because of how dedicated he was to protecting their home. And now some nobody like Fire Spirit can just waltz in and gain 'citizenship' in the churro village, and befriend everyone instantly?! Fucking hell.

What did Fire Spirit do to gain such popularity? Nothing. Except for not being socially awkward.

But Wind Archer was sure about one thing: he didn't have to go through hardships. He didn't have to watch his family and his home get swallowed by the darkness, not able to do anything. He didn't have trauma, look at him! He's so carefree... He didn't ever have to worry about anything.

Surely, this is probably why Wind Archer hated him the day they met. A fallen spirit, with no responsibilities and guilt whatsoever, having power over him, threatening him and actually working.

He still wanted to punch his face, of course... but not as much as before.

He still can't believe that he HELPED him. If they had gone back in time just a bit, he would've slammed the door shut in his face, leaving him to extinguish outside in the pouring rain.

He really should've. It would've benefited him more.

But why didn't he?!

He knew he was becoming soft, but not this soft! Never in a million years would he have saved an enemy when it doesn't benefit him...

No. This can't be happening. He's becoming the cookie that he tried so hard to avoid... He's becoming indulged in his emotions... his logic affected by his own bias that is his emotions...

This... was exactly what got the forest in danger when the darkness took over. This is exactly what got Millennial Tree almost killed. It can't happen again.

He looked over at Fire Spirit. Today he'll kick him out for good, and if he resists, shatter the bead and shoot him dead for good.

But he saw his smile, and...

He couldn't. Not yet.

Maybe... maybe tomorrow. No, maybe after a week. A week is enough to stop worrying about him and start focusing on his mission again.

He hopes.