Chapter 7-Him

Fire Spirit kept coming back to the forest.

At first, Wind Archer hated it. He was disrupting his quiet time and training with his nonsense, knocking Wind Archer off schedule. Then Millennial Tree saw what's going on and confiscated all of his training gear, including his quiver and bow, which made him even more upset. He even tried stealing the bow and quiver back (but that ended when Millennial Tree found out).

But as time went on, he started to... tolerate Fire Spirit's presence. They'd just chat about random topics like their favorite colors or something like that. He's not posing any harm to the forest, either. Millennial Tree also gave him his bow and arrows back, but, surprisingly, he found that socializing is way more entertaining than training, and much more... free. He started spending most of his time talking with the churro villagers, and spending less and less time alone and training, like he usually does.

A part of him says that it is wrong to have those base desires, telling him it's a waste of time and Fire Spirit is just trying to stray him from his righteous path. However, as the days went on he found himself paying less and less attention to that part of him.

What am I thinking, he thought to himself one day. He's just trying to make me train less so he'd be strong enough to beat me! Then he'd attack the forest, and dad, and everyone I've loved... this is wrong... I shouldn't be happy that he's- no, wait, I'm not happy... especially around someone like him...

It was no use thinking like that, especially since he never changes after. Even after just a few years, Wind Archer found himself seeking out Fire Spirit at certain times of day... and although his mind kept on shunning his behaviors, his body failed him every time, and he often found himself at the edge of the dragon's valley, just... waiting for him.

There was something even more ridiculous. He started feeling... lonely. Him! Wind Archer, god of the forest wind, who is known for working alone... desiring other company?

The village noticed these changes too. Some thought it was a good thing, while others thought he's starting to forget about his duty. But he's definitely getting softer.

To him, it was a weakness.

Sure, it got him to be more comfortable with people, but not showing any sort of softness was a strength in his eyes. The more cold and distant, the harder it is for enemies to gain an emotional advantage.

He had already seen what happened to his da- the tree. He was too kind, too trusting. He treated Dark Enchantress as a friend, and thought that Pomegranate could change her ways for the better. What did he get in return? A curse that sent him into a sleep that lasted for decades, as they took the opportunity to continue wreaking havoc on the now weakened forest. They even managed to corrupt Wind Archer. But despite all of that, Millennial Tree still trusts them.

Wind Archer have always viewed Millennial Tree as a role model: calm, patient, but still powerful. But he hated his kindness for strangers, even enemies. It was the only flaw; he was too easy to manipulate.

He swore that after that, he will never let down his guard for anyone ever again...

But he can't take Fire Spirit off his mind.

He tried everything: from shooting fallen spirits all day to meditating to even trying to take naps, just so he'd just forget about him. And nothing seemed to bring him the feeling that Fire Spirit gave him. Everything else seemed so dull and boring now that Fire Spirit was in his life. Compared to the peace and quiet of the forest, Fire Spirit was so bright and full of energy, like the children that ran around in the village.

And the more Wind Archer hung out with him, the more Fire Spirit had changed, at least, to him. He was becoming less annoying... respectful, even. He was less rude, and he treated Wind Archer like a friend. The death threats they were sending each other had completely stopped.

It only took a few years for him to forget about training completely. All he could think about was hanging out and having... fun with Fire Spirit. It was the childhood he never had.

Fire Spirit would make things he sees everyday feel new and exciting. He had never really paid attention to the small details, always filling his schedule with more important things... but now...

He watched as Fire Spirit picked up a dandelion from the ground, twirling it around with his fingers. He blew on it, giggling as the seeds flew into the air and got carried away by the wind.

"That never gets old, doesn't it? We don't have things like this in the Valley. Just rocks and lava for miles and miles...!" he sighed, laying down on the soft grass. I sat next to him.

"Say, Wind Archer... how come with all these interesting things in the forest, your personality is still so dry? You could be prancing around all day... oh, oh! Or trying to talk to animals? drawing? Why'd you have to train all day? If you could really hit anything you wish, how come you still train?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

When I went home that night, I thought about it again. Why do I try so hard?

Because I have a purpose, my thoughts supplied, and he doesn't. And I shouldn't be with someone who doesn't even have any goal in life.