ch 1 to ch 5

Chapter 1

Black clouds rolled across the horizo​​n, as if densely smearing ink. Thunder and lightning traveled back and forth between the lead-like clouds, like silver snakes. The silence of the frozen atmosphere, without a hint of wind, resembled a stream frozen motionless.

Several dozens of youths in clothes made out of sackcloth, walked on the cragged mountain road. They were hurrying with their heads buried, as if something dangerous lurked behind them, not even daring to turn their head once.

"Hurry up! It's nearly time!"

"There's only half an hour left."

Such voices were heard everywhere from the procession. These young children were so anxious that their faces were covered in sweat. They continuously sped up their pace, wanting to pa.s.s through the mountain road, but the road was so long that it was like they would never stop walking, and there was no end in sight.

The mountain walls around them seemed to reach through the clouds, except for one narrow road, which split between the walls, allowing these children to walk through. It was not long before many young girls collapsed, their body unable to endure the strain. However, an even greater number of people grit their teeth and moved forward with great efforts.

"Honglonglong—"

A bolt of lightning, thick as a water jar, struck down in front of the procession on the mountain road, and split open a deep, huge pit in the ground. The sound of thunder rolled through the sky, growing louder and louder. The shaking lightning struck and lit the ground, making the tall young man at the very front shudder with fear.

"I won't go! I won't go! I'll die if this lightning strikes!"

"I won't go either! I don't want to be an immortal, I don't want to join Tai Hua Mountain, I want to finish my trial!"

"I want to finish my trial too!"

The people who said "finish trial" were able to dodge the silver rays of light, and quickly disappeared from the mountain road. The others advanced without delay, continuing their trials.

Tai Hua Mountain was the cultivation world's number one sect. They opened their gates every ten years, accepting any child 15 years or younger for trials. As long as they pa.s.sed three trials, these ordinary children could receive the chance to enter Tai Hua Mountain, and even instant success from then on, becoming the immortals that the common folk held so high in their hearts.

Of Tai Hua Mountain's three trials, the first two held no danger. However, the last one, "Leiting Road", had children losing their lives every time it happened. The thunder and lightning were real thunder and lightning. These children had ordinary bodies, and they would undoubtedly die if lightning struck them. Not only that, but there was a time limit for walking through Leiting Road. If they went over the time limit, they still wouldn't pa.s.s the trial.

There was still a quarter of an hour remaining, and there were still 31 children remaining on Leiting Road.

And they were still a great distance away from the final destination, but the thunder continued to grow even more ferocious. Every time it struck, the heavens and earth alike trembled and shook, as if it were splitting through the mountain.

A young girl in the group said timidly, face white with fear, "Chen-gege, can we give up? This lightning could kill someone…"

A boy about 14 years old was walking in front of her. He heard her and turned around to face the girl.

This young man was not too handsome, but he was well worth a second look. A shrewd light flickered in his eyes, looking oddly at the little girl in front of him. Finally, he laughed. "Little sister, you're not any better than them. Relax, we can both become immortals. Take my hand and walk."