A Crack in the Wall (Canada)

6 June, 1944

Today has to be the worse case scenario I'd ever dove head first in. The three of us met again, but not to have small talk. No, this time, it was to finally break through the enemy lines and create the significant opening into France. As we were sailing towards the shores, Arthur had given us documents about Ludwig's position and a map of the site where we'll be charging from. He's been keeping up-to-date with the man's recent activities. I predict it might have some ties to where Francis is? Well, he does have a high rank, and he does know the procedures in every area. But I didn't expect Arthur to be this worried about Francis, I thought he didn't really care much. I asked him why he was doing this extra work to which he replied by saying that he's not quite sure if Francis is still alive or if he's dead.

"His cooperation in this war is important. If we don't have it, then there's a certainty that everything we've done will be for nothing. For all we know, he could be held captive in Paris. He could be tortured for confidential information, thrown in a gas chamber and killed there, maybe even beheaded, or he could be right under our noses and we never noticed it. Either way, there is no chance he would give up easily. Once is enough, but twice absolutely sets him off. Trust me, I've seen it, and you do not want to know how he sounds like."

By the time our first soldiers stepped foot out of the boats, they were already being shot dead and crowding the ramps. Even as the other soldiers tried climbing down from the sides into the water, some of them had drowned because they couldn't take off their gear in time. I wanted to close my eyes and block everyone in hopes of at least regaining my posture, but Alfred and Arthur had pulled me out by the arms and dove to a nearby piece of debris for cover. Grains of sand kept flying up in the air, and all I could hear was gunfire and screaming. We needed to pick up the pace or else we couldn't advance further, so we decided to split. Alfred had told Arthur to take me with him so he could keep me safe, but I thought that was complete moose-crap. And so we went, with me trailing behind Arthur and moving in zigzag patterns towards the cliffs.

I don't know how much time had passed that whole time on the beach. It felt like ages since every step was met with a shower of rifle fire. I also don't know how we managed to make it in the end, because I opened my eyes to find myself, my soldiers, Arthur, his soldiers, and Alfred's soldiers all standing on top of the cliffs celebrating and watching the Germans retreating. Amongst the retreaters I had spotted a large man with blond hair and an iron cross, but quickly dismissed it because I had something more important in mind.

Watching everyone disperse into their own groups, I tried finding Alfred to congratulate him too. After asking his team if they knew where he was, I headed for the medics and luckily found him there. I swore if he ended up missing too, then I'd definitely lose it. His glasses were cracked and almost his whole upper body was wrapped in bandages. All wounds aside, I was just thankful he's okay.

In short, we had made so much progress from this one battle on the shores. Now all we have to look forward to is making our way into Paris and liberating the capital back into the hands of the French. Before I end here, there's this rumor that a resistance is beginning to form in the capital. They say that the leader of the resistance is gathering local pigeons and are using them as messenger birds. How smart is that? You know, it takes a lot of willpower and passion to start a resistance in the heart of your country, the most heavily guarded location. I admire that man, whoever it could be. If I meet him, I want to shake hands with them and praise their brave endeavor.

Your friend, Matthew