What is this Strange Healing? (Canada)

1 September, 1837

        Dear Diary, my arms and legs ache. I whined to Caretaker for ache remedies, and he was sent off right away. He instructed me to stay in bed and to move as little as possible. I'm also a little frightened at the moment. I heard screams and gunshots coming from the south then to the north. What is going on? Why are there sounds of gunfire? What was the cause for this violent dispute? Caretaker returned looking terrified and dirty. His eyes were as if he'd witnessed murder. "Matthew, I want you to stay here for the time being, it's too dangerous to go outside." I asked him why. "There was a violent outbreak between the Upper and Lower not too long ago. Rebels outside are shooting across this field, it's impossible to get out or back. Just stay here until this conflict is resolved." I was frightened with the rebels, usually my citizens were peaceful! "If one of them succeeds, you may be their next target." Why would I be a target to them? What did I do to make them do that? Questions accumulated in my head until I started to feel the ache in my upper and lower regions again. Caretaker quickly aided them, giving me chamomile tea with honey which is putting me to sleep as I write.

...

28 February, 1838

        The next time I opened my eyes, I was told a year had passed and the rebels were taken care of. Looking outside my window, the field barely had any grass left. All that remained were dirt and debris. Surely the field will be taken care of shortly, it's unappealing to set eyes on. When the next meeting came, I informed Alfred what had happened. He replied describing his experience with rebels of his own. One rebellion he remembers was where people of dark skin joined a man of the same color and massacred a plantation owner, his family, and soon the town. The participates were either killed or executed along with their leader. At the time he complained about side cramps on the left of his center, I complained about the aching of my arms and legs. His cramp went away within a few days while mine took a year, minding not the sleep span. On these times the rebellions happened. Is this where the pain comes from, disputes in our countries? We had the same question we couldn't answer. I could tell something was wrong with him, he didn't seem too happy at our meeting. Instead he was rather depressed. His smile was gone, his eyes were red, and his clothes were a little wrinkled. "It's my new boss, he's failing my economy. I tell my representative to do something about our banks, for our people who are losing their lands, for the businesses that are closing down, but yet those demands go unanswered. I'm terrified what'll happen!" This was the first time I saw him cry, tears were running down his red cheeks as I tried comforting him. He pushed me away, claiming to not get close or else I'll become depressed too, how he didn't want me to get involved. Alfred's national crisis was affecting him massively. I didn't expect the meeting would end so gloomy. Yet it was so. I'm worried about him, although I'm also worried about the stability in my economy at this time. I'll keep a reminder to periodically get in check with them, specifically banks and finances. By the time I arrived back home, Caretaker was sitting at his desk looking agitated. "I don't want you to attend the next meeting Matthew. Some of the rebels weren't even from here, instead some across our border. Cross-raids to be exact." He was talking about Alfred. "So you're telling me that Alfred had some troops cross our border and join in aside the rebel cause?" He nodded. This angered me, didn't we make an agreement way back? And the fact that I was asleep when it happened! Maybe I won't attend the next meeting, maybe I shouldn't feel sorry that his president is messing their economy, maybe I should try to brush it off and go to sleep. Hopefully another year will pass if I do.

Your friend, Matthew