A Man by the Name of Ludwig (America)

12 November, 1918

        I woke up with a headache this morning. I think it was from the amount of wine I drank from Francis. He sure does know what kind of wine can get a man "classically tipsy" in a few glasses. His house was really cold for some reason, sure it's near winter, but usually fall would slightly decrease the climate temperature. I remember the first thing I saw when I woke up was Matthew sleeping soundly in front of me. My hands were around his waist. We didn't do anything when I was tipsy, did we? I hope not. Slowly unwrapping my arms, I got up and raised the sheets level to his chin. The hallway smelled like toast when I got out and headed to the bathroom. When I got out, the table was set with bread that looked a little older than it would be on expiration date. I asked Francis how old the bread was, he predicted it was a couple of days past due date. There wasn't much in the pantry, only half of a loaf and less than a half of jam.

        Arthur and Matthew sat down at the table five minutes later. Everyone present, we talked about what priorities we'll add in the treaty we're mostly focusing on with Germany over breakfast. Francis wanted to demilitarize Germany and strip them from ever being able to wage another war. He also wanted them to pay for reconstruction finances since almost everything that happened in France was done by those who bore and fought under the Iron Cross. We had to tell him to calm down or else the whole country will fall into debt, but he said straight out that this was what they deserve in return for granting absolute support with Austria-Hungary to fight any country that goes against them. 

Francis did say something that caught all of our attentions and turn our eyes wide at him, I remember it too well:

"I demand a confrontation with Ludwig. I'd like to enforce these terms into his thick dinosaur skull so he will never forget to not make the mistake of invading my country again."

        Arthur thought this was harsh, but it didn't look like Francis cared much. He told him to feel a little sympathy for the man that he was only fighting against him by the orders of his country. Matthew nodded at Arthur's comment and added that the only thing that mattered now was the treaty to end the whole war once and for all. Whatever will happen, will happen.

        When I was helping Francis wash the dishes, I asked him what was it that Ludwig did to make him express his level of hostility. He looked down and scowled.

"It began when I met his army at the Marne. His figure was mighty, but I treated it as if he were testing how well I can manage intimidation. Many were falling dead beside me and more came to our aid in taxis. I don't know how much time had passed, because I found myself face-to-face with Ludwig. I wish I could've been more wiser of my choices in combat, it would've saved me my collarbone and ankle. You see, I had the disadvantage from being distracted by three things. My mind was boggled with determination to prevent German advances towards Paris, we weren't that far, I had to keep in check with Arthur and his British Expeditionary Force in case they needed any assistance, and the pressure of having to keep giving orders to my army made my mind all the more dense. Ludwig is a strong soldier with a body of stone. There is a lot more I could explain to you, but for sake of time and these dishes, I cannot say any more. I can say that everyone has been through a lot ultimately. But for now, we have to focus on having this treaty go underway and from there we can finally head home."

        I can't wait to finally sleep in my own bed, cots aren't as comfortable and I have to ask Francis where I can get the sheets he has in the guestroom.

Your keeper, Alfred