- 24: To Make Them Into Dead Ones? -

This makes Tsuyu laugh, and the sound echoes as they continue to walk.  Izuku thinks it's actually nice, just walking out here. The air feels fresh and nice and despite it being really cold, its relaxing. Plus, the exercise is always good. Maybe he could come here just to hike or something. 

He looks at the trees as they pass them for any markings. He has to slow down a bit, but he still doesn't see anything except more trees. He's about to ask Tsuyu if she could double check if they're going the right way, but his mind is taken elsewhere when a sudden sound pierces through the woods.

 A familiar static, followed by the sound of footsteps. 

Heavy footsteps. 

A bear? 

His heartbeat picks up and he points his flashlight in the direction it came from. The concentrated beam of light can only illuminate a couple of feet ahead. He doesn't see any sign of animals or anything else that could have possibly made a sound like that. 

He goes to turn back ahead but stops when he sees Todoroki also looking in the direction of the flashlight. A spark of fear makes Izuku tense up slightly. He doesn't know why he's scared. Maybe Todoroki just heard the sound too. 

But then why hasn't anyone else turned to look? 

It was a pretty noticeable sound, there is no way anyone could just miss it. Their eyes meet and Todoroki points at one of the trees. 

"I found a marking." 

Izuku looks back and points his flashlight to better focus on the line of trees closer to them.  A symbol is carved into the tree's bark, right in the direction Izuku was just looking in. Tsuyu's eyes brighten up, and a smile appears on her face. 

"Good job!" 

She briskly walks over to the tree, and Iida and Ochako follow reluctantly. Izuku stares at Todoroki, who looks back at him, face stoic. 

"Are you scared?" 

The cold tone in his voice catches Izuku off guard, and for some reason, sets a few alarms off in his head. Izuku's heartbeat picks up again. 

"What?" 

The faint light casts shadows on Todoroki's face, his eyes blank. Those shadows seem to turn into something, something like- 

"I can hold the flashlight if you're scared."

In an instant, the blank look is gone and replaced with something familiar again. Izuku doesn't say anything for a second too long before quickly responding. 

"No!" 

He clears his throat. 

"No, I'm fine. It's just kinda hard to see." 

He tries to laugh, and sound relaxed. Todoroki nods and starts to walk towards the group, walking past him. 

 "Let me know if you change your mind." 

Izuku feels a shiver go down his spine and he watches as Todoroki goes to feel the markings. Tsuyu takes out her phone, the prized item held up for all to see.

 "Let's take a picture and see if a ghost shows up!" 

Izuku looks past the group and to the trees further up ahead. 

"Come find me, nerd."