Chapter 78 - Slumber Party, Witchcraft and Friends - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Look at you. We haven't had you here in a long time. I was afraid you had forgotten about me," she declared dramatically as if it hadn't been a few days since they'd seen each other. Plus, he had no doubt that Michael and Ryan had told her when they'd gone out to hang out with him.

"He's here more often than he's at home," Michael declared before Evan could answer her. He'd once thought it was a rebuke, but now he knew Michael well enough to know that he didn't really mind his presence.

"Good. He's the nicest of your friends. Maybe you'll follow his example," she replied as promptly as her son had.

"I'd like to see that." Apparently, it took them a long time and Ryan decided to join them, hoping they didn't manage to kill each other.

Ryan didn't stay in place and made his way over to Evan while his eyes tried to subtly hint at something. Evan wasn't sure if he was getting it right, but he assumed Ryan was leaving it up to him if he wanted to officially tell his aunt. Luckily, Evan had thought about it beforehand, so he automatically reached out in his direction so he could snuggle into his side, and Ryan was happy to do so.

"You boys are so cute," his aunt immediately commented, and Evan gave her a genuine smile in response.

"Thanks, Auntie."

"Not when you have a bed right next to them," Michael mumbled under his nose, but thanks to the wolf's hearing, everyone in the room heard him.

"It's fine with me. Nothing works better as protection than a human shield," was his mom's reply, and despite what she implied, Evan couldn't hold back his laughter. He burst out laughing so loudly that he decided to sacrifice his arm around Ryan's waist so he could cover his mouth with his hand. The black-haired boy was completely fine with that, as he was no better off, especially when he saw the look on his cousin's face.

"Mom," Michael grunted, obviously embarrassed, but his mom couldn't care less. She shrugged her shoulders with a mischievous grin that showed she had no regrets.

"I seriously should come here more often," Evan assessed when he finally managed to catch his breath.

"You should," his boyfriend agreed immediately.

"You're always welcome here," his aunt joined him right away, and Evan's insides warmed at her words. Lately, he'd felt more at home with the Saunders than he had at his place.

"Not to sound cheesy, but I'll be anywhere my mate is," he declared. Olivia practically took him as part of the family anyway, so it seemed natural for him to utter it in front of her. Plus, he had no doubt that she already had her suspicions as well, since she didn't seem surprised by his declaration.

Ryan's gaze curled up on him the moment he said the word, his eyes practically caressing his soul. As soon as their gazes met, he leaned in and pressed a kiss to Evan's cheek.

"Awww. Looks like Ryan's trip wasn't in vain after all." Practically everyone knew the reason Ryan had moved here, but few knew it had been successful. If it were up to Evan, everyone would know, but everyone would include his parents, and he wasn't ready for that yet.

"It wasn't, but my parents don't know that yet." He automatically looked at his mate's aunt, his eyes indicating a silent plea to her.

"Of course. Tell them when you're ready," she responded immediately. "Until then, I'll be thrilled for you for them, too."

"Thank you." Evan replied at the same time as Ryan said: "You're the best, Auntie."

"How long does it take you to get a drink?" Evan would have almost forgotten that Angie was in the house, too, if she hadn't suddenly appeared between the doors. She had her phone in her hands, which explained why she hadn't gone looking for them earlier, and she had a grimace on her face that quickly turned into a beaming smile when she spotted Olivia.

"Mama Olivia." She ran up to her, grinning from ear to ear, and immediately reached her arms out to hug her. Angie had long ago declared that they were best friends, and Olivia seemed more than happy with that.

"Hey, Angie. I missed you too." Angie chuckled at that and tightened her embrace around the other woman.

The sentimental moment was interrupted by Michael's sigh. "You should find friends your own age."

"He's just jealous that I'm not just his best friend anymore," his mom declared, pulling away from the black-haired girl. Angie immediately laughed at her declaration and gave Michael a smile that seemed to challenge him.

"We can trade if you want," Angie suggested, and the moment Michael realized the meaning of her words, he immediately started shaking his head.

"No thanks. Feel free to keep him." To assure her of his words, he gestured with his hands, pushing the imaginary person away from him.

"Hey!" Evan turned to him, frowning. Ryan immediately took it upon himself to soften the impact of the situation and kissed him on the temple. Of course, this immediately caused Evan's grimace to disappear.

"You're so whipped, dude," Angie commented on the situation, using the word dude sober for probably the first time in her life.

But before Evan could defend himself, Olivia stepped in. "Just wait until you find your mate. You'll act like a lovesick puppy too and you won't give a damn."

"Yeah, just wait, because waiting is really great." Michael's mood obviously changed quickly at this conversation, and everyone suddenly looked guilty. Evan decided he didn't want to feel sorry for him, though, since Michael honestly seemed like the last person who would appreciate it.

"Waiting is bullshit. Which is exactly why you need to teach me how to drive so I can take you around the world."

"I'm not getting in the car with you no matter what," countered Michael, who, if he welcomed the change of subject, didn't show it. Fortunately, though, he didn't look as sour as he had before, so Evan considered it a success.

"Wait, if you're going to teach Evan how to drive, I want to know as well," Angie immediately joined in, choosing to ignore his answer.

Michael put down the mug that had barely touched his lips and threw up his hands as if he didn't believe this conversation was still going on. His angry gesticulation obviously amused his mom, who chuckled at his reaction. "You really need to come here more often."

Later that day, Evan learned from Ryan that his aunt was really excited since she found out Evan and Angie were friends with Michael. Evidently, the friendship with them had caused Michael to communicate more, and his mom enjoyed hearing from him every time he confided in her about what kind of day he'd had. Apparently, he only looked annoyed in their presence and actually really enjoyed spending time with them.

He didn't learn more, since Ryan didn't want to betray his best friend's trust, but even that little was enough for Evan. Though they didn't admit it out loud, Michael had long since become one of his best friends and the proof was just the fact that they were officially friends on social media and Michael had even volunteered his phone number.

If everything turned out for the best in the end, he had no doubt his North Hallson friends would get on with him, not forgetting the one from Walley Lane. Speaking of Rory, maybe it was time he got to know another werewolf.