𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙊𝙣𝙚

•

"Ah!" I let out a loud shout, slamming my shot glass back down on Hyun-Ah's bar top before wiping my mouth with the back of my hand.

Hyun-Ah rolled her eyes, moving to pick up whatever bottle she'd been using to keep me as far away from sober as possible. The pink and blue neon lights coating the room bounced off the silver sequins of her dress, making it seem like she was part of some kind of strange dream.

"Are you really that against going?" Maria mumbled, her red painted nails tapping the bar top next to my glass. "Achilles only assigned you because he trusts you. I'm sure he'd let someone go in your place if you asked."

"Or if Maria spreads her legs and asks him while he was between them," Hyun-Ah quipped shortly, setting down the green glass bottle in front of me. "I'm charging you for this shit by the way. If you don't pay, I'll take it from your pay check."

"Were you always this big of a bitch?" I scoffed, shaking my head at her before sitting up straighter, passing my empty glass to Maria. She leaned over the bar to place it beside the sink, her smile as soft as it had been before Hyun-Ah's quip.

"What did I say that was wrong?" Hyun-Ah rolled her eyes, the blue contacts in her eyes making her look a little feral.

"Sometimes you don't need to speak at all," I muttered, "sometimes you can just be a background character."

"That would be an insult to my parents who made me this pretty," Hyun-Ah emphasized her point by flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"If that helps you sleep at night," I shook my head in disbelief, turning back to Maria. "Don't worry about me, I can handle any job I'm given."

"Woah, I just got chills," Taec-Yeon's voice joined the conversation, and I glanced over my shoulder as he appeared behind the bar, a rag over his shoulder. He stuck his thumbs up, "That was so cool, as expected of the Mamushi's First Lieutenant!"

"If you suck up any harder, you'll end up, up her ass," Hyun-Ah scoffed, tossing something at him, which he rushed to dodge, nearly falling over his feet.