Chapter XLIX. Dear Sasha, happy birthday

Two years later

Seaside area of Paradis Island, July 26, 853

"Daddy...Daddy!!!"

"Could you stop trying to look like a better parent?" Theia's emerald eyes were fixed on the tall fig trees where Levi was reaching for a ball that was stuck in the branches. He moved it into his palm with his fingers and bounced off the trunk to get back on his feet with a flip.

"I don't have to try, I am a better parent like you," he answered her arrogantly, to which Theia narrowed her eyes angrily.

"You..." she grumbled as Levi handed the ball to the tiny little girl, so he couldn't prevent an amount of sand he got right in the face. The ball fell to the ground and Levi straightened up with an incredibly pissed off expression. A thick vein appeared on his forehead, while he was cleaning his face with fingers, ready to attack his prey. He suddenly ran towards Theia, who was running as fast as her legs could run. "Old people like you should rest!" She squealed, causing Levi to have another wrinkle on his forehead.

"I'll show you who's old here," he grumbled angrily to himself. He very quickly caught up with her, pulled her by the arm and got her under him, thanks to which they both fell into the hot sand. Theia resisted his grip with her tiny hands, but Levi grabbed her tightly and stopped breathing for a moment to admire her beautifully tanned face. He reached for her pink lips when Theia's scream stopped him.

"Levi, watch out!" She cried out, but then another burden fell on his back.

"Mom, dad. No fighting!" The child called out in a high pitched voice and Levi rolled his eyes slightly. He turned to take the baby off his back and lay her next to Theia.

"We don't fight, Kiara. Your mom just sometimes acts like a brat!" He caressed the little girl's black hair at the moment when a group of scouts ran past them, running together to meet the waves of the sea. Levi sat back and watched Sasha, Jean, and Connie messing around in the sea, not feeling good at all about that. He returned his gaze to Theia, who was making some strange shape in the sand with her hands, explaining to Kiara the wall of Mary. It didn't seem like that at all to him, but what caught his eyes more was her short dress that barely covered what should be covered. He tilted his head and cursed the incredible heat, which was perhaps even more unbearable at the sea than in the coolness among the trees in the walls of Mary.

"You could take it off. It wouldn't kill you," Theia commented in a kind voice, examining Levi's gear, still perfectly attached to his body. His jacket lay on the bench and his shirt sleeves were rolled up above his elbows, but that was the only relief from unbearable heat.

"I'm fine the way I am," he replied sternly and stood up to pull Kiara out of the sand. "Come on, we have to drink," he warned her seriously and threw her over his wrist to leave one hand free, because he noticed how the waves washed away Sasha, who was not moving. Jean and Connie swam to her, but before they could save her, Levi pushed his shoe into her stomach, causing her to spit out all the water from her lungs, along with her own soul and will to live. Theia put a hand to her forehead and shook her head.

"So now, everybody could see the best parent," she pointed out teasingly, clapping her hands as Levi walked past her again.

"Keeping those brats alive is rotten work, so yeah. I'm the best parent," he returned her ironic remark and walked to the bench, where he put Kiara down and offered her a glass of fresh water.

"Mommy is beautiful," the girl pointed out, a little water coming out of her mouth.

"Yes she is," Levi replied in a gentle voice, wiping her mouth with a handkerchief.