Chapter XXXVIII. The gloaming

"Theia, could I ask you something?" Asher with Theia, walked through the dark streets of the dirty city. Theia raised her gaze to Asher, who looked right into her face this time. "That Ackerman, who is he? Why did you protect him? I thought he is our enemy," Theia smiled sadly.

"If you listened to what I ordered you," she paused and breathed. "Ackerman... uhm... Levi is..." her speech was stopped by Lahja's hand, which forced them to hide around the corner of the building.

"We are on the spot," she said.

"Stay here Lahja. If you'll register the enemy, warn us," Lahja nodded. Theia and Asher went toward the building with broken windows. Theia leaned on the facade and listened to the noise of the surroundings. After a few seconds, she jumped through the destroyed window to the interior, followed by her companion, who pulled out a smaller gun from behind his belt. They were careful about every movement while searching all the rooms on the floor. But they found nothing but records of normal activities.

"According to the stories I listened to as a kid, there should always be a secret door in such places, but I don't see anything here," Asher laughed a little disappointed and leaned on an incredibly large, dusted library. Theia came to him so close that he had to control his breath. She approached his face, which made Asher's heart pound. "Theia, I..." he said looking into her green eyes, but suddenly he lost his balance. He fell back and fell down the short stairs. Theia shook her head with a smile and pulled her hand out of the lever that revealed the secret entrance to an even deeper underground. She went down where she found Asher, who rubbed a painful place on his head. "It looks more fun in the books," he complained.

"But it was really funny," Theia laughed, and Asher couldn't leave her face. She smiled quite often, but every good moment spent together was special for him. Together they walked through a dark corridor, glowing the candle, which he lit just in front of the entrance. They got into the large hall, also fully illuminated by candles, but immediately after their arrival they both had to drive away the feeling of nausea. They passed through the aisle between large containers, which were filled with water of special color and human brains. Theia didn't think she would ever be able to see it differently than in books.

"What is it...?" Asher frowned, trying to knock into one of the containers, but Theia stopped him right away.

"You don't even want to know what it is," she pointed out, counting over twenty full containers. She went to the workbench where she found many documents that she was briefly reading with a horrified view.

"It doesn't seem, somebody is here," Asher said, starting to hide everything that came suspicious to him, without Theia's command.

"But there is somebody," Theia whispered in a cold voice while reading documents of shocking experiments.

"How do you know?" He looked into her frowning face.

"I think those candles aren't lit by ghosts," pale Asher straightened and Theia continued to read.

On June 14, 844, an experiment was done on the subject 32. Gradually, the substance LP41 was injected at hourly intervals. Effects: loss of consciousness, nausea, rapid pulse and heart rate. On 15 June 844, a substance was added. The subject showed aggression. After adding a substance 338, the muscles and the subject were unable to communicate. June 16 - The subject is dying.

Theia crouched the paper in her hands and clenched her teeth angrily.

"Ehm Theia?" Asher backed up to her, pointing the gun to the darkness in front of him. She turned around to notice the incoming figure in a white cloak.

"Theia... that name... I've heard it somewhere," the older man laughed from the shadows. His laboratory cloak was dirty from dried blood and he stopped a short distance from the couple.