Chapter XXIII. Dreams of hope

She couldn't describe her own feelings. It happens often, too often, but she has never hesitated before. It is so simple. Pull out a dagger and stab. Kill, injure or disarm. It was her job, all these years, so why did it hurt so much when she looked into his dark eyes where she always saw love and yet her body shook in hesitation.

"Levi, please. Calm down," she whispered as she backed up on the ground, bumping into her father's desk as Levi knelt down to caress her face.

"I lost everything. I can't lose you, do you understand?" He caressed her cheek with his fingers, continued to her neck and stopped on her shoulder. Theia shook her head in disbelief as he squeezed her shoulder.

"No," she whispered and pushed him away. She stood up abruptly, but Levi grabbed both of her wrists and forcefully turned her back to him. Roughly, he pulled off the survey corps jacket, which he threw to the ground and bent down to her body again.

"Don't worry. It will hurt just a moment, princess," he pressed her against Erwin's desk and covered her mouth with his hand to keep her quiet. Theia's heart was pounding and falling apart as his skilled fingers gripped her shoulder and she was forced to reach for the hilt of the knife. She pulled it out, opened it, and deftly turned it in her palm so that it cut Levi's hand, which he was holding her tightly. At that moment, Levi was overcome by shock. He stopped immediately and exhaled, loosening his grip. Theia spun around and pointed the knife at Levi, who was watching her with a horrified look.

"Are you crazy?" She cried out as he noticed the bleeding wound on his palm and then the knife Theia was holding in her hands. Even in his wildest dreams he didn't think he would be the one she would have to use the knife against. His own blood ran down the engraved name on the blade and he let his hands fall along his body. " I told you that I never want to hurt you again, and look, what you made me to do!" She held the knife tightly in both hands and breathed loudly.

"I don't know," he whispered. "I don't know why I did it. I'm sorry," he raised a confused look and reached his hand to her, but she backed away until she hit the table.

"Don't dare to come any closer," she warned him, to which he frowned regretfully.

"Please. Don't be afraid of me," he hid his fingers in his palm and felt that the blood stopped flowing in his veins from the pain.

"Ackerman bond or not. You can't break my arms because that seems like the best option of my protection to you," Levi stopped. He would like to explain his reasons to her, but he didn't know them himself. Something deep inside him was driving his actions, he had no control over his body or voice.

"I know. You're right, but tell me, how can I convince you not to join the scouts?"

"You really think that while you put your lives on the line, I will sit in the corner knitting? I want to stand by my father's side, I want to stand by your side. Open your eyes and realize that I am a soldier! I am strong Levi, more than you think, more than you want to see!" He was shocked again by her firm voice. "Levi, we are both strong. Let's protect each other, let's fight together, not against each other. I need you in my life and not always see you leaving with the option of just waiting if you will come back to me or not," his gaze slipped again to the blade she was still aiming at him. "I love you, Levi," she whispered in a broken voice.

"Prove it," he looked sadly into her eyes. "Stay,"

"I can't," after her answer, he closed his eyes and bit his own lips.

I had no choice but to nod lightly, as always. I never had the opportunity to change my fate and neither did the fate of others. In the end, each of us makes our own decisions. She broke my heart, but what hurt me more was the look in her scared eyes, which looked at me like some kind of monster. I've never been as scared as I am now. Fear that she will reject me, fear that she will be afraid of me, fear that I will lose her. I'm so tired of this never ending fear.