xxii. i think i've seen this film before and i didn't like the ending

Start from the beginning

"But Grover found it," Percy said. "He went looking for Pan and he found the Fleece instead because they both radiate nature magic. It makes sense. We can rescue him and save the camp at the same time. It's perfect!"

Annabeth hesitated. "A little too perfect, don't you think? What if it's a trap?"

"What choice do we have?" Cassie asked. "We have to rescue Grover!"

Annabeth glanced at Tyson, who'd lost interest in their conversation and was happily making toy boats out of cups and spoons in the lava.

"Percy," Annabeth said under her breath, "we'll have to fight a Cyclops.
Polyphemus, the worst of the Cyclopes. And there's only one place his island could be. The Sea of Monsters."

"Where's that?"

She stared at Percy like she thought he was playing dumb.

"The Sea of Monsters. The same sea Odysseus sailed through, and Jason, and Aeneas, and all the others." Cassie added.

"You mean the Mediterranean?"

"No. Well, yes... but no."

"Another straight answer. Thanks."

"Look, the Sea of Monsters is the sea all heroes sail through on their adventures. It used to be in the Mediterranean, yes. But like everything else, it shifts locations as the West's center of power shifts."

"Like Mount Olympus being above the Empire State Building," Percy said. "And Hades being under Los Angeles."

"Right."
"But a whole sea full of monsters—how could you hide something like that?
Wouldn't the mortals notice weird things happening ... like, ships getting eaten and stuff?"

"Of course they notice. They don't understand, but they know something is strange about that part of the ocean."

Cassie looked at her hair in the reflection of the plate she had cleaned. "The Sea of Monsters is off the east coast of the U.S. now, just northeast of Florida. The mortals even have a name for it."

"The Bermuda Triangle?"

She smiled "Bingo."

"Okay ... so at least we know where to look."

Annabeth huffed. "It's still a huge area, Percy. Searching for one tiny island in monster-infested waters-"

"Hey, I'm the son of the sea god. This is my home turf. How hard can it be?" Annabeth and Cassie knit their eyebrows. "We'll have to talk to Tantalus, get approval for
a quest. He'll say no."

"Not if we tell him tonight at the campfire in front of everybody. The whole camp will hear. They'll pressure him. He won't be able to refuse."

Cassie was skeptical. "But what if he doesn't give the quest to us?"

A little bit of hope crept into Annabeth's voice. "We'd better get these dishes done. Hand me the lava spray gun, will you?"

That night at the campfire, Apollo's cabin led the sing-along. They tried to get everybody's spirits up, but it wasn't easy after that afternoon's bird attack. They all sat around a semicircle of stone steps, singing halfheartedly and watching the bonfire blaze while the Apollo guys strummed their guitars and picked their lyres.

They did all the standard camp numbers: "Down by the Aegean," "I Am My Own Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandpa," "This Land is Minos's Land."

The bonfire was enchanted, so the louder you sang, the higher it rose, changing color and heat with the mood of the crowd. On a good night, Cassie had seen thirty feet high, bright purple, and so hot the whole front row's marshmallows burst into the flames.