Chapter 22 - Classes

It was now the first day of the new semester and Zhihao had arrived somewhat early to her first period, determined to make a better impression than Jiale on their Sports and Health teacher, Mr. Huang.

While Zhihao wasn't exactly a teacher's pet, being more of a person to try and stay under the radar when it came to teachers, her sibling rivalry with Jiale came first. If it meant adding just another victory to rub into her brother's face, Zhihao would gladly be the favorite student of any teacher in the world.

Arriving early didn't mean that Zhihao wasn't tired, however. She had barely gotten any sleep yesterday because of course Jiale stayed up late chattering to Dachi about some show that Dachi probably didn't even watch.

That man has no regard for others, Zhihao thought bitterly about her brother.

It didn't matter that Zhihao was the first to arrive to class anyway, though, since Mr. Huang was no where in the classroom to acknowledge Zhihao's early presence to begin with. She sighed.

With bleary eyes, Zhihao scanned the room before dragging her feet toward a desk next to the window, in the far back of the classroom, slumping into the seat to officially claim it.

Zhihao set her arms down on the table with a dull thunk and then rested her head on top of them, intent on catching a quick nap before class started.

However, before she could actually fall asleep, Zhihao heard the soft sound of footsteps drawing closer and closer to her seat. Please don't talk to me, it's 6 in the morning.

Unfortunately, the footsteps stopped directly in front of her desk anyway. A voice then spoke aloud, "Zhihao, do you know where Jiale is? He hasn't replied to my texts yet."

Zhihao internally groaned. Of course Siyang would also come to class early. Of course he freaking would.

Reluctantly lifting her head to greet the man with an eye squint, Zhihao replied, "No, he's probably still asleep right now. He went to bed late last night, I would know."

Siyang sighed imperceptibly before giving the girl a slight head nod. "Okay, thanks." He then pulled back the seat next to Zhihao's, leaving her alone to go back to sleep.

Extremely grateful for Siyang's considerate act of kindness, Zhihao took this moment to shut her eyes again.

Zhihao was eventually proved right when Jiale was the last to arrive to the class, 20 minutes later, late by two.

Mr. Huang frowned at Jiale when he sheepishly opened the door, wordlessly pointing him to the last seat available, which was at the very front.

Mr. Huang then grumpily continued on with his roll call, which has been interrupted by Jiale. Eventually getting to the Ts, Mr. Huang asked for a "Tang Jiale?"

Jiale tentatively raised his hand into the air, causing Mr. Huang to frown at him again. "Try not to be late next time, Tang Jiale."

Much more awake now, Zhihao gleefully beamed. It turned out, she didn't have to do anything to make a better impression on Mr. Huang than Jiale; Jiale had done all the work himself already.

Zhihao was called next by the teacher. "Tang Zhihao?"

Zhihao happily put her hand into the air, giving her brother a tiny grin when he turned around to squint his eyes at her. "Here!"

The rest of the class dragged on as Mr. Huang droned on and on about his personal life. Since it was the first day of school, there was more teaching about the teacher themselves than school content.

Of course, Siyang next to Zhihao was listening to Mr. Huang with rapt attention, his back straight as a rod.

Zhihao was more than relieved when the bell finally rang, releasing the class from the teacher's blabbering.