Chapter 16 - Tennis

Despite her instincts, Zhihao agreed and followed Zhuo Zhi to his house, which was only a couple of minutes away.

His home was a small, humble one, at the corner of a street, with a stone path leading to the front door.

"My parents aren't home right now," Zhuo Zhi explained as they walked up the porch, his hand paused on the door's handle. "So it should be just us."

Zhuo Zhi swung open the door to let the pair in.

"My spare tennis bag is in my room, I'll go get it. You can make yourself at home for now."

Zhihao took off her shoes and nodded, letting her eyes roam around the interior of the house. There were many small succulents scattered around the window sills that she could see.

Zhuo Zhi left Zhihao to wander around his house, exploring the different rooms downstairs.

When Zhihao found Zhuo Zhi again, who was waiting for her in the living room, she commented with a raised eyebrow, "You have a lot of plants."

The end of Zhuo Zhi's mouth slightly quirked up. "I like plants," he replied with nonchalance.

"Like" was an understatement; nearly every room could be seen with a hanging plant in the corner, a few plants on the furniture, etc. Zhuo Zhi's own room was filled with tiny cacti as well, a collection he has grown mildly attached to. He didn't mention this of course.

Swiftly changing the subject, Zhuo Zhi asked, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Not bothering to wait for Zhihao's response, he turned on his heels and headed to the kitchen to brew a pot anyway, leaving Zhihao to just stand in the center of the room.

Zhuo Zhi returned a few minutes later with a steaming cup of tea in one hand, and a plate with a sandwich on it in the other.

Setting the food and drink on the center table, he gestured with his head for Zhihao to come over and eat.

"You don't want to play tennis on an empty stomach," he explained.

Zhihao accepted the food with an appreciative smile and thanks, before digging in.

Zhuo Zhi just bowed his head in response, before turning the tv on with a click of the remote while he waited for Zhihao to finish her food.

Zhihao had just finished the delicious sandwich when the front door swung open. Zhuo Yu had unexpectedly decided to come home today.

Zhuo Zhi immediately stood up happily about to greet his little brother, who stopped and stood at the door when he caught sight of the pair in front of him. Zhihao awkwardly waved.

Instantly averting his eyes at the sight, Zhuo Yu muttered an apology for the intrusion, before promptly turning around and leaving, ignoring Zhuo Zhi's protests.

There was a pause and then Zhihao and Zhuo Zhi shared a glance. Well that was strange.

Zhuo Zhi blinked before speaking. "I'll just.. check on Xiǎo Yu later. If you're done eating, we can go now." (small)

At his words, Zhihao quickly gulped the cup of tea Zhuo Zhi had set out, which thankfully had cooled by now, before standing up as well.

Zhuo Zhi took the empty plate and cup from Zhihao and put them in the kitchen sink, before snatching both his and his spare tennis bag from the ground.

"Let's go."

~~~

As the pair arrived at a nearby tennis court, Zhuo Zhi set the bags down. Despite Zhihao's protests, he had insisted on carrying both of the bags as they walked, claiming that Zhihao would manage to break them if she carried them.