"Stop!" Kai exclaimed, coming to block the dogs from doing anything to Lloyd and Nya.

The dogs barked loudly, even growling and baring their teeth a few times. Kai tried to usher them back into their own palace of a room, but not quickly enough.

"What is going on?"

Kai looked up to see Rita coming downstairs, looking quite messy and hungover.

"What did you do to them?" Rita demanded as she quickly stumbled to her two dogs, picking them up.

"Nothing! They nearly attacked Lloyd!" Kai replied hastily.

Lloyd whimpered quietly and sneezed, clutching the hood of Kai's shirt.

"They would never attack anyone," Rita scoffed. "You were being too loud for them." She then proceeded to give both of the spoiled Pomeranians lots of cuddles. "My little angels would never hurt anyone."

Rita really loved her dogs to a weird extent, but the children had already learnt not to question it.

Once the gargoyle had left to take the dogs back into their room, Nya went back to cook the food while Kai comforted Little Lloyd, whose nose was runnier than in a while.

"Kai," Lloyd whimpered, wiping his nose in his sleeve. "My nose icky."

Lloyd's word for 'itchy'.

"I know. It'll stop soon," Kai consoled. Technically he was lying, because Lloyd's runny nose was chronic by now, all because of the dogs.

"Kai, have you done your homework?" Nya suddenly asked.

Kai blinked. "Um... yeah. Of course!"

"No, he hasn't," Lloyd mumbled innocently.

"You little snitch!" Kai groaned.

Nya gave her brother a reproachful look. "Kai, not all children can even go to school. The least you can do to appreciate that privilege is put a little effort into your schoolwork."

"You sound like a mom," Kai retorted.

"How would you know? We don't have a mom."

"But you make it feel like we did."

"Well, you make it feel like we had a big baby."

"Oh well, you-" Kai never managed to finish his sentence as Lloyd grabbed him by the sleeve and pulled him towards himself to regain his attention.

"Kai," Lloyd whined, sniffling.

"Fine, you little attention addict," Kai chuckled, gladly giving all of his attention to his nicer sibling.

"Even Lloyd is more mature than you," Nya sniped.

Kai gave his sister a questioning look, nodding towards Lloyd, who was now ripping apart the piece of paper towel he had found and dropping it on himself as if to play it was snowing.

"Okay, fine," Nya grumbled.

🔥-🔥-🔥

The day was hotter than any other so far. The sun was shining brightly in the sky and there was hardly any shade on the siblings' way to school. The asphalt was like solid lava they had to walk on, and there was nowhere they could cool down.

Kai and Nya were walking bravely along the highway, their backpacks weighing uncomfortably on their backs, chafing their shoulders. They were constantly glancing over their shoulders to make sure Lloyd was not walking in the middle of the road or lagging too much behind.