twenty-two

⋆ twenty-two ⋆

⋆ twenty-two ⋆

"Lils."

"Hmm?"

She doesn't glance up from her work, too engrossed in the file she's rereading for the twelfth time. By this point, Peter's sure she's memorised all of them, but she's still going over them constantly and making notes upon notes. For what, he has no clue, and the first few times she tried to explain it to him, he couldn't process it.

He heads over, closing the laptop.

"Hey!"

"You've been at this for a week non-stop," he argues, crouching on the other side of the table with his crossed arms on it. "You've not even been sleeping properly. You know what you need? You need a holiday."

Lily just leans back in her seat with a raised eyebrow. Deciding to humour him, she replies, "Well, where am I going to go? Tibet?"

"No. Well, you can if you want. Anywhere is good. Even to, I don't know, Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn is stooping a bit low, don't you think?"

"Better than Queens."

"Don't have time for a holiday."

"Okay, then just an evening. That's all I'm asking. One evening with me."

He holds his hands up pleadingly, feeling attention-starved. While he's completely supportive of his girlfriend's choices, it doesn't mean he's going to stop hanging out at her new place whenever he's bored, and seeing her barely even look at him when she's working has made him a little lonely.

Lily always spent time with him, gave Peter most of her attention, but that was before this cruel twist of fate that placed Oscorp in the middle of a web of lies amidst the confusion of her report. But she needs a break, she knows that.

It's with a sigh that she finally rubs at her eyes, trying to get the imprint of the lab reports out. "What do you have in mind?"

Much to her relief, it's not an over-the-top evening that he's got planned, with going out and public attention. Perhaps that's one of the best things about their relationship: they both know exactly what they need, because it's usually the same thing. They know when they're in the mood for outside, and when the evenings are that they decide to just stay home and watch a movie with popcorn, just like today.

It's about ten minutes into the movie that Peter pauses it, not even needing to glance at his girlfriend before saying, "You're staring at me."

"I am?"

"You are, and you have been for a while. I don't think you even know what movie is on."

"Well, you've got a very nice face to look at, Mr Parker."

Peter gets caught by surprise, although he immediately realises he shouldn't have been shocked. Lily likes dishing out compliments to him like they're nothing, which isn't really something he's used to either growing up or in a relationship. It seems being with Lily Osborn has really changed a lot of things for him.