eight

⋆ eight ⋆

⋆ eight ⋆

"Hey, Lils. Uhm... Good morning! That is, if it is a good morning. I, uh... I don't know what to say, really. I can't imagine how you're feeling. If it's anything like how I'm feeling then I guess it's kind of sucky. ...Listen, I'm going to stop by your place at lunch, I'll bring some of Aunt May's potato salad. It's about to expire so naturally she gave it to me, but I'm going to need some help finishing it. And- and I'll bring a game to distract us. Or you can cry if you need to. So, I'll... I'll see you at lunch."

"Hey, Lils. I stopped by at lunch but Bernard said you couldn't get the day off work. I'm sorry. I know you said you'd try, but... it's just not fair, you know? It's Harry's birthday, they should've let you. Or- Or you should've let you. You didn't have to punish yourself by working, it's not your fault. I know you think it is, but it's not. Just... call me when you're free."

"Hey. I tried stopping by Oscorp, but they wouldn't let me past the reception. Some guy even told me that I was dragging you down to the slums, which was kinda funny. If only he knew that it was the great Lily Osborn that throws pebbles at my window, not the other way around. But maybe I should. Know that the moment you fall asleep at night, I'm going to throw pebbles at your bedroom window... somehow. Maybe sleep on the second floor instead of the seventh so I don't shame myself when I can't throw that high. Anyway, I wanted to check in, but you're probably busy. In board meetings and council meetings and stuff. I just wanted to say... I'm proud of you. And I'm here for you. So call me."

"Have you ever heard that song, 'curiosity' by the Jets? I saw a record when I passed one of the old shops on the way home and I thought of you. You know, that story you told me about you and Harry trying to copy them and play instruments. I got you the record, by the way. I was going to bring it when I stopped by for dinner. I don't know if you want me there, but I'm coming anyway, because I don't think you should be alone today. I'll see you later."

"I realised I don't know if you have a record player for the Jets record. I hope you do. You're an Osborn, you should, right? I might just be overthinking it. But you don't have to get Bernard to cook, I'll bring pizza from Genova's. Not Joe's - I don't think they like me after they fired me a couple of years ago. I'll make sure to get the vegetarian for you."

Earphones in, the kitchen lights are dim as Lily gets to baking. She's still in her black work pantsuit, her suit jacket draped over one of the chairs in the sitting room. It's barely been ten minutes since she walked through the front door and she's already whisking cake batter fiercely.

Peter Parker's voice echoes in her ears. The hesitancy in his first voicemail twists something in her gut painfully. She didn't call him this morning, she didn't even ask if he was okay, the first red flag for her. How could she have been too busy? How could she have forgotten?

He went through so much effort to make sure she was okay and she left her phone on silent all day, too caught up in meetings and work and burying her feelings in everything other than the date. She didn't even read the paper in the car on the way to work this morning, something that deviated from her usual routine. Maybe because despite her deal with Jameson, she knows there'd be something for Harry on the front page, and she couldn't bear to see a photograph.